Piotr Ciepiela is an energy and environmental lawyer in Baker McKenzie’s Warsaw office. Before joining Baker McKenzie, Piotr worked in the legal department of the Polish Energy Regulatory Authority (URE) where he gained valuable experience in representation before civil courts in cases within the areas of conventional and renewable power, heat, liquid fuels, and gas. Piotr also has some pro bono experience, having cooperated in the past with environmental law charity ClientEarth.
Piotr is experienced with respect to project development and transactions in the energy sector, in particular from a regulatory perspective. On a daily basis, Piotr advises on buy-side and sell-side deals for targets developing renewable energy projects, development of infrastructure and renewable ventures (focusing on offshore and onshore wind) and environmental compliance. Piotr also represents clients in regulatory proceedings regarding energy and environmental matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Wind Power Invest A/S (Vestas Group) in the acquisition of an onshore wind farms portfolio with a capacity of more than 200 MW.
- Advising a Denmark-based investor on planned acquisitions and further development of several onshore wind farm projects with a total capacity of over 125 MW, including regulatory and contractual advice.
- Advised one of European chemical tycoons on a contemplated acquisition of an offshore wind farm project in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised a Polish state-owned energy company on a contemplated acquisition of two offshore wind farm projects in the Baltic Sea with a total planned capacity of 400 MW.
- Assisting numerous energy companies in all the types of regulatory matters, including licensing, tariffs, administrative penalties and other issues connected with representation before the Polish Energy Regulatory Authority (URE).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar Association of Attorneys-at-law (OIRP w Warszawie) - Member
- Poland (2018)
- Jagiellonian University (Master of Laws) (2013)
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa