Sboniso Cibane is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Group in Johannesburg. Prior to joining the Firm, Sbo served as clerk to Chief Justice Mogoeng (Constitutional Court) and prior to that, Justice Malcolm Wallis (Supreme Court of Appeal).
Sbo advises clients on capital markets and debt restructuring, securitisation, structured financing, leveraged financing, preference share funding, and various aspects of regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted in advising and representing various South African and international banks on restructuring the debt of a listed company, and advising lenders on the issuance of a USD 600 million bond by the same company.
- Assisted in advising and representing a bank in a series of civil damages actions in the approximate sum of ZAR 1.4 billion, arising from its position as custodian of a failed collective investment scheme, which is presently under curatorship.
- Assisted in advising a development finance institution on funding a public bus rapid transit system.
- Advised various banking institutions on the regulation of financial and insurance products in South Africa.
- South Africa (2017)
- Harvard Law School (LLM International Finance, Capital Markets Regulation, and Public Regulation) (2015)
- Université Catholique de Lyon (MIBL International Tax, Insolvency, Competition and Contracts) (2013)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLB cum laude) (2011)