James Choo is a local principal in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He advises on both regional and Singapore tax issues and has experience with planning and implementing large-scale regional multi-jurisdiction projects. The Legal 500 describes him as "a star in the making".
James focuses on international tax aspects of cross-border transactions, including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, integrations, spin-offs and supply chain planning. He is able to draw on experience from a multitude of projects and issues in a number of jurisdictions to deliver planning solutions that are commercially feasible.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting as Asia-Pacific project lead in respect of a global post-acquisition integration involving more than 100 jurisdictions. Restructuring objectives involved entity consolidation, holding company structuring and value chain transformation.
- Advised various multiple financial institutions on structuring bespoke product roll-outs. Legal advice focused on tax implications and risk management (including assessment of anti-avoidance risk and mitigation planning).
- Led various voluntary disclosures to the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore in respect of potential multi-million dollar liabilities, with successful waivers of liability.
- Counsel of choice for an EU satellite communications client aggressively expanding into the Asia Pacific. Coordinating all legal and tax matters on behalf of the client in all relevant Asia Pacific jurisdictions.
- Advised various multinationals in the consumer products and e-commerce industries on their business transformation and supply chain efficiency planning. Multiple jurisdictions involved, including Australia, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines and India.
- Led a transaction that enabled a client structure a tax-efficient divestment of a luxury hotel in Thailand involving three jurisdictions.
- Led a brand-name client in the financial services industry, in advising and coordinating the restructuring of its Asia-Pacific, Middle-East and Africa operations across 14 jurisdictions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore (2010)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. (Hons) (Second Class Upper))
- New York University (LL.M. International Taxation , distinction in the field of International Taxation)
Co-author, "An Investor’s Guide to the Regulatory and Tax Framework for S-REITs," IBFD’s Derivatives & Financial Instruments newsletter