Hank Chong is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office. Hank first joined the Firm in 2003 and later re-joined in 2010 after working with another international law firm in 2008. He completed a six-month secondment at the wholesale banking legal department of an international bank in 2011.
Hank’s practice focuses on loans and credit facilities. He has extensive experience in acting for banks and other financial institutions as well as corporate and institutional borrowers on a wide range of lending transactions, specializing in real estate, acquisition, project and structured finance. He is also experienced in restructuring debts of public and private companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for an Asian real estate fund manager on USD 939 million, RMB 4.669 billion and RMB 300 million offshore and onshore loan facilities from a Hong Kong property developer and its affiliates as vendors for financing its real estate acquisition and development in Shanghai.
- Acted for a Chinese bank as arranger and agent on USD 245 million equivalent and RMB 300 million syndicated offshore and onshore loan facilities to a Chinese real estate fund manager for financing the development of its real estate project in Beijing.
- Acted for a Singaporean bank on a HKD 2.4 billion loan facility to a joint venture of two HK property developers for financing the development of its real estate project in HK.
- Acted for a US real estate fund manager on HKD 530 million loan facilities from an international bank for financing its real estate acquisition and development in HK.
- Acted for an international bank on a USD 300 million equivalent credit facility to a pan-Asian insurance group for refinancing its existing indebtedness and financing its general corporate purposes, with sub-lines in 7 different jurisdictions.
- Acted for a Chinese bank on HKD 2.638 billion and HKD 650 million credit facilities to a HK theme park operator for financing its waterpark project in HK, with intercreditor arrangements with the HK government.
- Acted for a Chinese bank on a USD 400 million loan facility to a Chinese private equity firm for financing its telecommunications project in Ukraine.
- Acted for a Chinese bank on USD 157.5 million and USD 150 million loan facilities to a Chinese private equity firm for financing its proposed acquisition of an ASX-listed minerals company.
- Acted for a Chinese bank as arranger and agent on a EUR 900 million syndicated loan facility to a Central European chemicals company for financing the Chinese sponsor's management buyout of the borrower's parent.
- Acted for a Chinese bank on the USD 1.85 billion debt restructuring of a NASDAQ-listed Danish shipping company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong (2005)
- Hong Kong (2005)
- The University of Hong Kong (PCLL) (2003)
- College of Law of England and Wales (CPE) (2002)
- Yale University (BA in Economics; BA in East Asian Studies) (2000)