Emeka's practice focuses on project development and finance transactions primarily in the power and infrastructure sectors, as well US public private partnerships for transportation and social infrastructure projects.
His work has covered complex financing projects in the United States, South America, Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa. Emeka has worked for an extended period in the United Arab Emirates advising on the development and financing of renewable energy projects in the MENA region, and in connection with the development and financing of an over GBP 2 billion 690 megawatt offshore wind farm project in the United Kingdom.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Masdar as joint venture participant in the development and financing of the GBP 2.3 billion 630 megawatt London Array offshore wind farm project in the United Kingdom including with respect to the negotiation of the project and financing documents.
- Advised the lead arrangers on a USD 690 million repowering project financing for Topaz (a US based power company), including with respect to the negotiation of the financing and collateral documents.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a USD 215 million acquisition financing of a portfolio of parking garages in New York and New Jersey, including with respect to the negotiation and drafting of the financing and collateral documents.
- Advised the lead arrangers on a USD 300 million asset based financing of Solo Cup (a US manufacturing company), including with respect to the negotiation and drafting of the financing, collateral and intercreditor documents.
- Advised the administrative agent and lead arrangers on a USD 1.1 billion amended and restated bank financing for Steel Dynamics, Inc.
- Advised the administrative agent and lenders in negotiating commitment papers and financing documents in connection with a USD 300 million acquisition financing by AMP Capital of the ITS/Conglobal group from Carlyle.
- Advised a Fortistar led private equity fund consortium in a USD 215 million senior secured acquisition financing of Primary Energy Recycling Corporation, an operator of a 298 megawatt portfolio of four recycled energy generating facilities in a pulverized coal facility located in Indiana.
- Advised the US Department of Transportation in connection with a USD 325 million subordinated secured municipal loan for the funding of project costs relating to the replacement of the Gerald Desmond Bridge at the Port of Long beach, California.
- Advised a US wind energy developer, in its sale of a 255 MW portfolio of wind power projects in the US to a JP Morgan affiliated wind energy portfolio company, including the negotiation, drafting and reviewing of the purchase and sale agreement, operating and maintenance agreements, administrative services agreements, the various third party consents under existing financings and hedging arrangements, limited liability company agreements and other various closing documents.
- Advised the Administrative Agent and negotiated and drafted the financing, collateral and intercreditor documents for a USD 225 million senior and junior debt cross-border financing for the Lynden Pindling International Airport in the Bahamas.
- New York Rising Stars, Super Lawyers Individual Awards, 2015-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association - Member of the Project Finance Committee and the Africa Affairs Committee
- Nigerian Bar Association
- Nigerian Lawyers Association in New York - Past President and former Board Member
- New York~United States (2007)
- Nigeria (2002)
- Columbia University School of Law (LLM) (2006)
- Nigerian Law School (B.L.) (2002)
Co-author, “Financing High-Speed Rail in the United States: Parts 1-3,” Law360, March 2017
Co-author, “Financial Covenants in Project Financings,” Law360 and Lexis Nexis, July 2017
Presenter, “How to Finance High Speed Rail in the US,” Bond Buyer Conference, November 2016
Presenter, “The Evolution and Future of P3s in North America,” Bond Buyer Conference, November 2016
Presenter, “Strengthening Africa’s Legal Frameworks,” 14th Annual African Economic Forum, April 201