Andrew Chien has over five years of experience managing his clients’ brands on a global basis, enforcing his clients’ intellectual property rights, and representing clients in cross-border transactions with intellectual property components.
The most common challenge that Andrew’s clients face is how to protect their brands and other intellectual property assets in key markets around the world. In the past few years, Andrew has advised clients in the luxury retail goods, technology, and agriculture industries on brand protection strategies – particularly as they pertain to trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement – and also supported clients in cross-border M&A transactions to help facilitate the licensing, transfer, and protection of their intellectual property assets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Manages the global trademark portfolios of various Fortune 500 companies, including a US-based global market leader in the computer and technology industry, several New Zealand-based multinational agricultural companies, a US-based multinational advertising agency, and a Canadian-based global asset management company.
- Advised Hitachi on intellectual property matters pertaining to its $11 billion acquisition of ABB’s power grids business.
- Advised Impala Platinum Holdings Limited on Canadian intellectual property matters pertaining to its $1 billion proposed acquisition of North American Palladium.
- Assisted Fuji Oil Holding, Inc. with the management of its intellectual property assets following its cross-border acquisition of Blommer Chocolate for $750 million.
- Obtained a favorable judgment for Mars Canada Inc. in a case involving “grey market” issues before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice [2016 ONSC 7201].
- Acted for and won a USD 30 million arbitration claim brought by a biotechnology company against a global venture capital fund regarding a breached investment agreement.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario~Canada (2016)
- Queen's University, Canada (J.D.) (2015)
- University of Western Ontario (B.MSc., Medical Cell Biology) (2008)
- Author, “Federal Court of Appeal Confirms Lower Court Decision on Meta Tag Copying,” Lexology, January 2016
- Author, “The Technology, Media, and Telecommunications Review (6th ed – Canada Chapter),” Law Business Research Ltd., 2015
- Author, “Canada ratifies the WIPO Copyright Treaty and the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty,” Lexology, May 2014
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.