Chin Chew is a principal in the Firm’s Singapore Finance & Project practice group and is rapidly making a name for himself in the regional finance and energy markets. He has more than 10 years of experience advising on major infrastructure projects, as well as oil and gas-related and project finance transactions. Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2009 has cited his contribution to the Singapore team’s "solid regional cross border project development practice".
Chin handles both financing and project development work. He has extensive experience advising banks and sponsors in power, water, oil and gas and other infrastructure/utilities projects. His energy-related experience includes engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, offshore oil and gas projects, LNG contracts, energy-related joint ventures, sales and acquisitions and project financing of power and petrochemical plants. Chin also has experience advising governments and regulators in the energy and infrastructure sectors across the Asia Pacific region. He has advised on deal-of-the-year transactions as cited by Project Finance International and Asian Counsel.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a borrower on a USD1.2 billion project financing of a power plant in Thailand.
- Acting for various independent power projects in Indonesia including a hydro-electric project, two geothermal power projects, the bid for the Central Java IPP and the negotiation of PPAs in the Cirebon.
- Acted for a bidder on the acquisition of a majority stake in a coal-fired power plant operating in the competitive electricity market of the Philippines.
- Acted for the mandated lead arrangers on the USD400 million project financing for the development, construction and operation of a 200,000 MTPA acrylonitrile production facility and an associated 70,000 MTPA methyl methacrylate monomer production facility at Map Ta Phut, Rayong, Thailand. This deal won Asia-Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2008 by Project Finance International.
- Acted for CPC Corp. Taiwan on the negotiation of a number of long term LNG sale and product contracts.
- Acted for various purchasers on the acquisition of coal mines in Indonesia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of UK
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- Macquarie University (Master's Degree Applied Finance) (1999)
- Cambridge University (LL.M.) (1996)
- Leeds University (LL.B. First Class Honors) (1992)
- Bahasa Malaysia
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.