Henry Chen is a partner with more than 14 years’ experience in handling cross-border compliance matters. As a US and PRC trained lawyer, he has assisted many multinational corporations in complying with anticorruption and fraud-prevention laws, including the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the UK Bribery Act, and PRC anti-bribery laws.
Prior to joining the Firm, Henry acted as the Asia Pacific Director for Investigations at a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company and led its regional compliance investigations. Besides Shanghai, he had also worked in Washington DC, Hong Kong and Beijing as a compliance professional.
Henry has conducted numerous complex, multi-jurisdictional investigation projects for companies in a variety of industries including healthcare, manufacturing and technology. He also assists MNCs in designing and implementing compliance programs, conducting risk assessments and compliance due diligence in M&A transactions, providing compliance and ethics training to senior executives and third-party intermediaries, and advising on responding to government investigations and dawn raids.
As an expert in forensic e-discovery and machine learning tools, he regularly provides practical, innovative solutions to managing and discharging large-scale data review utilizing the Firm’s e-discovery and data analytics resources.
Henry also frequently advises on dispute resolution matters. He has worked on a number of complex disputes arising from cross-border transactions involving arbitration, litigation, and mediation. He provides on-the-ground support for US securities class actions and fraud investigations, and is experienced in evidence gathering in China for the purpose of complying with US jurisdiction legislation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Leading a nationwide internal investigation in China on behalf of a global food producer and securing material evidence to substantiate serious allegations against its local management involving taking personal kickbacks of a significant amount from distributors and vendors.
- Representing a major US medical device company in response to dawn raids and anti-bribery investigations by the Market Supervision Bureau in Shanghai and assisting in reaching a favorable settlement with the regulator.
- Representing a major US sports apparel and equipment company in internal anticorruption investigations in China and self-reporting to the US Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Justice.
- Representing a Finnish company in response to a World Bank investigation request on several alleged sanctionable practices identified in its China projects and preparing defense briefs to the World Bank Integrity Vice Presidency.
- Assisting a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company with internal investigations into travel and entertainment expenses, including assisting the company’s first-ever computer imaging and forensic data review in multiple locations in China.
- Advising a US healthcare provider in its internal investigations into alleged corrupt practices and financial fraud conducted by a local joint venture formed in China.
- Assisting a leading US medical device manufacturer in reviewing its global compliance program and developing China-specific policies and procedures, including its distributors’ compliance and internal control systems, procurement and expense reimbursement processes, and whistle-blowing program.
- Assisting a Japanese pharmaceutical company in a targeted internal review of the marketing and distribution activities by its China subsidiary and providing risk assessment and compliance enhancement recommendations.
- 40 Under 40 (Leading Young Investigations Specialists from around the World ) - Global Investigations Review (2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2011)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. (Dean's Graduate Award)) (2010)
- Shanghai University of International Business & Economics School of Law (Master of Laws) (2007)
- Shanghai University of International Business & Economics School of Law (LL.B.) (2004)