Ian Chen is a Registered Foreign Lawyer of Baker McKenzie. Ian's practice focuses on corporate finance, M&A transactions, venture capital investments, foreign direct investments and corporate governance.
Ian has extensive experience in corporate transactional matters, including M&A, downstream investments of private equity and venture capital funds, PRC inbound and outbound investments in a variety of industries, ranging from advertisement, technology, media, telecommunication, education to traditional manufacturing, pharmaceutical, wholesale, retail, and banking.
Ian has represented many private equity funds and venture capital funds as well as industrial and strategic investors for their investments in China, in which he has been involved in all stages of various corporate transactional matters, ranging from deal structuring, due diligence, documentation, to negotiation, deal execution, and post-transaction integration and restructuring. He also advises multinational companies on general corporate and compliance matters on a regular basis, including reviewing and drafting commercial contracts, leases, and advising on labor, foreign exchange, anti-corruption (including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) legal matters.
Ian earned his LL.B. and LL.M. from Xiamen University School of Law. He has also obtained a second LL.M. from New York University School of Law. Ian was admitted to practice in China and the State of New York.
Representative Legal Matters
M&A / Foreign Direct Investment / Outbound Investment
- Acted for HK CTS Metropark Hotels, a wholly owned subsidiary of CTS Group, China’s largest travel service provider, on its acquisition of all of the shares of Kew Green Hotels from TPG and Goldman Sachs. Kew Green Hotels owns 44 hotels and operates 11 hotels in U.K.. This deal is the largest ever acquisition of an European hotel group by a Chinese investor.
- Acted for Cristal, a titanium dioxide manufacturer in the Middle East on its acquisition of a PRC titanium product manufacturer.
- Acted for a PRC sovereign wealth fund and Haier in their investment or proposed investment in Sinopec Marketing Co., Ltd.
- Acted for BOCI on its direct investments in a storage and logistic business in PRC.
Private Equity / Venture Capital
- Acted for Tencent for its investment in Koolearn, a leading online education service provider backed by New Oriental, for its pre-IPO restructuring.
- Acted for Gaw Capital for its acquisition of Guangzhou Damazhan Commercial Centre in China.
- Acted for Prudential for its Series C investment in, Prenetics, a Hong Kong based gene technology company engaging in the development and provision of genetic testing and digital health information services and solutions.
- Acted for Sunlife for its Series A investment in Timo, a Vietnam based insurtech company engaging in the development and provision of online platform for banking and insurance products.
- Acted for a leading PRC asset manager to sponsor a RMB denominated PE fund in Shenzhen Qianhai with a target total commitment of RMB 3 billion.
- Acted for a Chinese airport/airline group in its cooperation with an Australia based leading PE fund management company to sponsor a RMB-denominated fund with a size of RMB 5 billion.
- New York~United States
- New York University School of Law (LLM Corporate Law) (2009)
- Xia Men University (LLM (Honours)) (2007)
- Xia Men University (LLB (Honours)) (2004)