Ian Chen is a registered foreign lawyer in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group. Ian's practice focuses on M&A transactions, venture capital investments, foreign direct investments and corporate governance.
Ian has extensive experience in corporate transactional matters, including M&A, downstream investments of private equity and venture capital funds, PRC inbound and outbound investments in a variety of industries, ranging from technology, media, telecommunication, education to traditional manufacturing, pharmaceutical, wholesale, retail, and banking.
Ian has represented many private equity funds, venture capital funds as well as industrial and strategic investors for their investments in China, in which he has been involved in all stages of various corporate transactional matters, ranging from deal structuring, due diligence, documentation, to negotiation, deal execution, and post-transaction integration and restructuring. He also advises multinational companies on general corporate and compliance matters on a regular basis.
Representative Legal Matters
M&A / Foreign Direct Investment / Outbound Investment
- Acted for Metro AG in its sale of majority stake in METRO China to Wumei.
- Acted for China Merchant Port Holdings in the sale of minority interest in Hambantota International Port Group.
- Acted for a Chinese state own company group in its proposed acquisition of an airliner in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a leading Japanese financial institution in its acquisition of an aircraft leasing company based in Ireland.
- Acted for Tencent in its investment in Koolearn, a leading online education service provider backed by New Oriental, for its pre-IPO restructuring.
Private Equity / Venture Capital
- Acted for Gaw Capital in its acquisition of Guangzhou Damazhan Commercial Centre in China.
- Acted for EQT in its acquisition of China Shine (Shanghai Zhengxin), a Chinese company engaged in provision of cleaning services.
- Acted for Prudential in its Series C investment in Prenetics, a Hong Kong-based gene technology company engaging in the development and provision of genetic testing and digital health information services and solutions.
- Acted for Sunlife in its Series A investment in Timo, a Vietnam- based InsurTech company engaging in the development and provision of online platform for banking and insurance products.
- Acted for China Media Capital in the formation of a PRC onshore PE fund and an offshore holding company to raise RMB 10 billion from tech giants including Alibaba and Tencent.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Council - Member
- Hong Kong Law Society - Member
- White Collar Women's Defence Association - Member, Hong Kong Chapter
- New York~United States
- New York University School of Law (LLM in Corporate Law) (2009)
- Xia Men University (LLM in International Law, Honours) (2007)
- Xia Men University (LLB , Honours) (2004)