Kristen’s practice focusses on major projects and construction across a range of industry sectors including rail, road and transport.
Kristen has recent experience advising Queensland Local and State Government entities with the procurement and delivery of some of Queensland's highest profile infrastructure projects as well as participants in the mining, energy and resources sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Australian Rail Track Corporation in connection with the preparation of tender and contract documents for the AUD 10.5 billion Inland Rail Program of rail upgrades and greenfield rail developments to create an inland freight rail route between Melbourne and Brisbane. A number of the major works packages are being delivered under either an ITC model or D&C framework.
- Acted for Brisbane City Council with the delivery of the Brisbane Metro Project, particularly in respect of the procurement of the new fleet of electric, high-capacity Metro Vehicles and associated charging equipment. The project will deliver a 21 kilometre "turn-up-and-go" service with two dedicated lines connecting 18 stations from Eight Mile Plains to Roma Street, and Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital to the University of Queensland via a D&C arrangement.
- Acted for the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority / Queensland Government on the Cross River Rail Project on the procurement and delivery phases of the AUD 5 billion+ infrastructure project developing and upgrading Brisbane's stations, tunnels and rail lines. The Project consists of three major contracts - the Tunnel and Stations Development PPP contract, the Rail, Integration and Systems alliance contract and the European Train Control Systems Level 2 (ETCS) design and construct (D&C) contract.
- Assisted Western Sydney Airport on Stage 1 of the design and development of the Western Sydney Airport – Main Works Package concerning airside civil and pavement works.
- Assisted Sydney Water Corporation on its “Partnering for Success” initiative which saw the first large-scale adoption of the NEC4 suite of contracts in Australia. The project involved the engagement of 3 regional delivery consortia to deliver all of Sydney Water Corporation's capital, maintenance and facilities management projects for a period of 10 years under collaborative framework agreement.
- Assisted Department of Housing and Public Works in the development, drafting and finalisation of construction contracts and documentation required as part of the Queensland Housing Strategy delivered by the Department.
- Acted on behalf of an international entity, which develops and manages power generation assets, in negotiations with a preferred bidder in relation to a supply and install contract for the establishment of a wind farm consisting of 42 wind turbine generators in New South Wales.
- Advised a Project SPV in relation to developing template forms of EPC and O&M contracts to be negotiated with, and entered into by, contractors on large-scale solar farm projects in Australia.
- Assisted GWA Group Limited with several upgrade and expansion projects across Australia by preparing a suite of D&C, construct-only and fit-out contracts.
- Acted for Seqwater in the negotiations with a preferred tenderer in relation to the construct only contract for the upgrade of filters at the East Bank Water Treatment Plant.
- Advised Transport for New South Wales in connection with the delivery of the Sydney Growth Trains Project including preparing asset transfer deeds and updating the Delivery Deed following execution of deeds of settlement, release and amendment.
- Assisted Queensland Treasury with providing a three-year financial assistance package to Ardent Leisure during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Assisted Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads with proposed refinancing and new debt arrangements under various existing franchise agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Queensland Law Society, 2017-present
- Executive committee member, Emerging Professionals in Infrastructure Queensland, 2018-2021
- Volunteer lawyer, Marrickville Legal Centre, 2022
- Volunteer lawyer, Women's Legal Service Queensland, 2017-2021
- Volunteer lawyer, Homeless Person's Legal Clinic, 2017-2021
- Supreme Court of Queensland (2017)
- High Court of Australia (2017)
- Bond University (LLB (Hons) / BA) (2016)