Maria Celis joined the Firm in 1997 and became partner in 2008. She has 20 years of experience working in corporate, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, telecommunication, real estate and anti-trust matters, and works with important national and international companies on corporate reorganization and M&A matters. She heads the Venezuela office Diversity & Inclusion committee and she was awarded as a highly commended lawyer in the category “Gender Diversity Lawyer of the Year Venezuela” by Chambers and Partners in the Latin America Awards 2019. In addition, she is member of the Sustainability committee of the Venezuela office and represents Venezuela in the Real Estate and M&A Latin America Steering Committees.
Maria advises on civil and commercial matters and is part of the Corporate/M&A and Real Estate practice groups. She has extensive experience in the incorporation of companies, foreign investments, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate law. Maria routinely drafts corporate documents and contracts, participates in due diligence processes, and advises companies on commercial and business matters in Venezuela. Her practice focuses on Real Estate and Anti-Trust matters. She also advises telecommunications companies in various corporate and real estate matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Provided corporate assistance on a regular basis to important national and international companies in Venezuela.
- Advised on foreign investments in the food, pharmaceutical, and corrugated paper industries.
- Assisted foreign investors in establishing corporate and tax models, and managing mergers and acquisitions.
- Advised on corporate reorganization in order to protect the investments of local and international companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Bar Association
- Member of the Legal Committee of the British Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce
- Venezuela (1998)
- Andrés Bello Catholic University (Law Degree summa cum laude) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie SC is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.