Lorena is a senior associate focusing on Mexican anti-corruption law in Baker McKenzie's Mexico City office. She currently is a member of the Global Compliance & Investigations and the International Commercial & Trade Practice Groups. Lorena joined Baker McKenzie in 2011 and spent more than two years working in Baker McKenzie’s Monterrey office.
Lorena focuses her practice on anti-corruption law advising multinational companies across a range of sectors. Her practice involves advising, conducting and assisting clients on compliance audits and internal investigations involving potential bribery in public procurement processes, allegations of wrongdoing and handling whistleblowers. Lorena regularly assist multinational and domestic entities in the design, development, implementation and localization of global corporate compliance programs for their business operations in Mexico. She has significant expertise in facilitating compliance-training sessions for employees and has special experience in helping clients in complying with international and domestic anti-corruption standards related to customs and foreign trade transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in internal investigations concerning allegations of bribery and corruption involving companies' international transactions and foreign government officials.
- Conducted third-party due diligence to mitigate the risk of becoming involved in corruption through Mexican customs brokers.
- Assisted various companies in compliance reviews and FCPA anti-corruption investigations in Mexico and abroad.
- Advised foreign and domestic companies in the creation, development and implementation of compliance programs for their business operations in Mexico.
- Assisted clients in workplace internal investigations either by conducting the investigation for the client or by advising and guiding the client who is handling the investigation internally.
- Facilitated in-person FCPA compliance and anti-corruption training sessions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Abogadas MX - Member
- Mexico (2012)
- Georgetown University Law Center (Master of Laws - International Business and Economic Law) (2015)
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico (Diploma in Constitutional Law) (2011)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (Diploma in International Trade) (2011)
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico (JD Equivalent) (2010)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (Bachelor in International Relations) (2004)
- Co-author (with Jonathan Adams), The Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Review - 8th Edition
- Co-author (with Jonathan Adams and Reynaldo Vizcarra), Getting the Deal Through - Market Intelligence: Anti-Corruption 2019 - Mexico
- Co-author (with Jonathan Adams and Reynaldo Vizcarra), Getting the Deal Through - Risk & Compliance Management 2019 - Mexico
- Co-author (with Jonathan Adams and Reynaldo Vizcarra), Getting the Deal Through - Market Intelligence: Anti-Corruption 2018 - Mexico
- Co-author (with Jonathan Adams and Reynaldo Vizcarra), Getting the Deal Through - Risk & Compliance Management 2018 - Mexico
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.