María Casas López is a partner in the Firm’s Banking & Finance Practice Group in Mexico City. She practices in the areas of domestic and cross-border credit transactions, corporate finance, capital markets, project financing, insurance and financial regulatory matters.
María Casas López focuses her practice on general banking, cross border financial transactions, acquisition, project and infrastructure finance, banking, securities and insurance regulatory issues. She also has corporate and foreign investment experience related to the establishment of companies and representative offices in Mexico.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented to several foreign financial institutions in syndicated facilities with security interest over assets located in Mexico, including mortages over real estate properties, pledges over receivables, equipment and inventory.
- Represented several financial institutions in the structuring of tourism and real estate projects.
- Represented a radio broadcasting company in Mexico in the negotiation of a credit facility for US$85 MM for the purchase of a radio station in the US.
- Advised several foreign financing institutions in the negotiation and implementation of Mexican security interests in trade finance facilities to Mexican producers.
- Advised on negotiation of financing documentation for the construction and implementation of tolling equipment in Mexican federal highways.
- Advised foreign banks in the granting of a credit facilities to finance the construction of water treatment plant with security interest over accounts receivable from the CFE.
- Represented foreign banks in financings secured through mortgages over vessels and in the structuring of administration trust with PEMEX contracts.
- Advised several foreign insurers and brokers in connection with regulatory matters applicable to the offering of insurance-linked financial products, and the offering of investment funds and securities to Mexican residents.
- Advised large US insurance corporation in the acquisition of a Mexican insurance company.
- Represented foreign insurance company in the establishment of a Mexican Pension Fund Manager (AFORE).
- Mexico (1990)
- University of California at Davis (1994)
- Universidad Nacional Autónomo de México (1990)
- Georgetown University (1988)
- Harvard Law School
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.