Brandon Caire is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Houston office. He has been recognized as a 2014, 2015, and 2016 Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers. Brandon’s community involvement, among others, includes being an active member of United Way's Young Leaders group, an active member of the Krewe of Cowboys and Cajuns (benefitting Texas Children's Hospital) and a donor for the DePelchin Children’s Center. Brandon also served as the Firm's point person for the Houston Food Bank's 2016 Food from the Bar campaign, during which the Firm donated food, funds, and volunteer efforts sufficient to provide over 13,000 meals for Houstonians.
Brandon focuses his practice on civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout Texas as well on as domestic and international arbitration. Brandon's practice typically involves commercial disputes and business torts in the energy and manufacturing industries. He also has experience in securities and pharmaceutical disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended two international investment banks against claims of fraud by a Houston petrochemical corporation in connection with a failed merger between the corporation and a private equity-owned chemical corporation. The case, which involved claims over USD 14 billion, settled in the midst of trial for USD 1.7 billion.
- Defended a Houston-based offshore equipment and services corporation against numerous shareholder suits in both Texas and Delaware arising from its agreement to merge with another offshore equipment and services corporation.
- Defended a national coal corporation in a contract dispute against a coalbed methane producer relating to alleged cooperative agreements to produce CBM in southern Illinois coal mines, securing summary judgment on all claims and an affirmance of that judgment by the 7th Circuit.
- Represented a national seismic operations corporation in an antitrust investigation by the Department of Justice relating to a proposed merger. After a four-month investigation, the Department of Justice approved the merger as fair.
- Defended the downstream division of an integrated energy corporation against breach of contract claims by a technology company in connection with a failed joint venture involving the use of natural gas liquids technology.
- Defended an international pharmaceutical company against multiple lawsuits relating to alleged risks of a touted "wonder drug" in the courts in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
- Defended an energy technology consulting client in a four-day jury trial against former employees concerning their severance compensation and alleged ongoing ownership interest in company, resulting in a verdict in favor of the client that the employees in question had been fully compensated for their interest in the company at the time of their termination.
- Represented an oilfield services client in an LCIA arbitration against an operator seeking payment for wireline services provided over the course of three years in Senegal, securing a final award of USD 6 million.
- Defended a pipeline services client in a five-day jury trial against a pipeline construction company in connection with an alleged bid to provide hydrotesting services in Utah, resulting in a defense verdict in favor of client.
- Represented a drilling contractor in an ICC arbitration against an operator seeking nearly USD 71 million payment for drilling services provided in the course of drilling gas wells in the South Yoloten field of the Republic of Turkmenistan, securing a final award in the client’s favor.
Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2014-2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- Federalist Society - Member
- The Institute for Energy Law - Advisory Board Member
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan~United States (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- Texas~United States (2008)
- Columbia Law School (J.D.) (2008)
- University of Alabama (B.A. magna cum laude) (2005)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.