Brian Cacic assists clients on all substantive Canadian customs, trade sanctions and export controls issues, including complex customs valuation, tariff classification, rules of origin, marking, remissions and drawbacks. He assists clients to develop and implement effective customs and trade compliance programs, and he regularly conducts internal compliance reviews, prepares voluntary disclosures, and represents clients in Canadian customs compliance audits and enforcement actions. He also provides trade compliance and regulatory advice in connection with corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, and advises clients on trade-related legislative matters.
As part of his commercial and regulatory practice, Mr. Cacic advises on Canadian regulatory and commercial issues pertaining to the import, distribution, advertising, labeling, commercialization and post-market vigilance (including recalls) involving food, cosmetics, drugs, medical devices, and other consumer and industrial products and services. He also advises companies on the requirements of the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and the federal Contract Security Program.
Mr. Cacic is also experienced with assisting international businesses with the commercial and regulatory aspects of expanding to Canada, and from Canada to other markets. He frequently works with colleagues in other practices and in other jurisdictions on multi-disciplinary commercial and regulatory compliance issues.
- Recognized Trade practitioner by Chambers Canada and Legal 500
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (2007)
- Presenter, “2020 Virtual Year-End Review of Import/Export Developments.” Baker & McKenzie LLP, 17-19 November 2020
- Presenter, "A Year-End Review of Export/Import Developments." Baker & McKenzie LLP, Santa Clara, California. 13 and 14 November 2019
- Presenter, “What’s Next: Emerging Trends in Sanctions and What to Watch Out for.” The Canadian Institute: Canadian Forum on Global Economic Sanctions Compliance & Enforcement. 2 and 3 October 2019
- Co-presenter, "The USMCA Trade Agreement". Global Trade Conference. Baker & McKenzie LLP, Seattle, Washington. 16 May 2019
- "Customs Basic: How to Value Your Products". Global Trade and Supply Chain Webinar Series." Baker & McKenzie LLP Webinars. 26 June 2018
- Co-presenter, "Blockchain: Privacy friendly or hostile technologies?" Toronto International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) KnowledgeNet Presentation. 14 June 2018