Roman Butenko is an associate with Baker McKenzie's Moscow office. He specializes in the areas of compliance and dispute resolution. He has a unique multicultural experience of advising and representing clients across Central Asia jurisdictions that he gained during his over 2-year practice in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Roman also spent a year in the Washington, DC office of Baker McKenzie where he advised and assisted clients on various anti-bribery compliance matters.
Roman focuses on compliance and dispute resolution matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and represented international and domestic clients in commercial arbitration proceedings (LCIA, ICAC).
- Assisted a US DoJ-appointed monitor of an international engineering company in its assessment of a company's allegation management system.
- Conducted numerous anti-corruption, fraud and financial crime investigations of major international clients (including a world-leading software developer, a major international industrial equipment producer, a major pharma producer and others) and their Russian and other CIS subsidiaries into their participation in state procurement procedures and interactions with government officials, vendors, resellers and distributors.
- Advised an international defense industry company in its compliance assessment of counterparties across the globe, including the Philippines, Brazil and Saudi Arabia.
- Developed robust corporate compliance programs for a number of international companies originating from Russia at the holding company level and in their foreign subsidiaries.
- Conducted compliance audits of and risk assessments for major international clients, identifying risk areas in their operations and advising on mitigation strategies and approaches.
- Advised various international clients on compliance-related issues dealing with data privacy and data protection and law enforcement, etc.
- Represented a number of international clients in general commercial, corporate and administrative disputes in the courts of Russia and Kazakhstan and in commercial arbitration.
- Represented clients in Russian courts on the disputes related to anti-corruption offenses.
- Russia (2012)
- Russian Peoples Friendship University (PhD) (2018)
- All-Russian Academy of Foreign Trade (Law Degree) (2012)
- Author, “Adjudication procedures and enforcement of adjudication decisions,” Economy and Law, 2017
- Author, “Perspectives of contractual adjudication in Russia,” The Arbitration Court, 2017
- Author, "Adjudication in the ADR system," The Arbitration Court, 2017
- Author, “Concept of adjudication as an ADR method,” The Law, 2016
- Co-author, "Firestone and Butenko: A Russian 'pilot program'?" The FCPA Blog, 2018
- Co-author, "Due diligence in Russia: A public register of bribe payers," The FCPA Blog, 2018
- Co-author, "Practice alert: Russia expands corporate liability for bribery," The FCPA Blog, 2018
- Co-author, “Class action in a civil procedure. Has the time come?” Corporate Lawyer, 2013
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.