Roman Butenko is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Moscow office and a criminal advocate admitted to the Moscow city bar.
He is experienced in the area of anti-bribery compliance and investigations, criminal law and dispute resolution. Roman spent around one year in the Washington, DC office of Baker McKenzie, where he advised and assisted clients on various anti-bribery compliance matters. He also gained the unique multicultural experience of advising and representing clients across Central Asia jurisdictions during his over two year-practice in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Roman has a PhD in law and is a visiting lecturer at the Russian Ministry of Economic Development, as well as at a number of leading Russian universities, where he lectures on anti-corruption compliance matters. Roman has extensive experience in internal investigations and compliance advisory work across various regions and industries, including healthcare, TMT, energy / mining and others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the client's subsidiary in Russia - a global telecommunications company - in an administrative dispute initiated in connection with the alleged transfer of a bribe by an official of this subsidiary to a government official for allegedly not bringing the company to administrative responsibility for a minor violation of administrative law.
- Represented the Russian distributor of a global manufacturer of alcohol drinks in an administrative dispute against the distributor in connection with an alleged transfer of illegal remuneration by a third party on their behalf.
- Assisted a US DoJ appointed Monitor of an international engineering company in its assessment of company's allegation management system.
- Conducted numerous anti-corruption, fraud and financial crime investigations of major international clients (including a world leading software developer, a major international industrial equipment producer, a major pharma producer and others) and their Russian and other CIS subsidiaries into their participation in state procurement procedures and interactions with government officials, vendors, resellers and distributors.
- Advised an international defense industry company in its compliance assessment of counterparties across the globe, including Philippines, Brazil and Saudi Arabia.
- Developed robust corporate compliance programs for a number of international companies originating from Russia at the holding company level and in their foreign subsidiaries.
- Conducted compliance audits of and risk assessments for major international clients, identifying risk areas in their operations and advising on mitigation strategies and approaches.
- Advised various international clients on the compliance-related issues dealing with data privacy and data protection, law enforcement, etc.
- Represented a number of international clients in general commercial, corporate and administrative disputes in courts of Russia and Kazakhstan and in commercial arbitration.
- Represented clients in Russian courts on the disputes related to anti-corruption offenses.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Russia (2012)
- Russian Peoples Friendship University (Ph.D. degree in private international law) (2018)
- All-Russian Academy of Foreign Trade (Law Degree with honors) (2012)
- Washington, D.C.
- Co-author, "Russia: Key Issues as to Compliance Programmes and their Enforcement – an Update," 2020, GIR Insight - Europe, Middle East and Africa Investigations Review 2020
- Co-author, "Russia: Сorporate Anti-Corruption Enforcement Trends," Baker McKenzie, 2020
- Co-author, "Russia: Corporate Anti-Corruption Enforcement Research," Baker McKenzie, 2019
- Co-author, "Practice alert: Russia expands corporate liability for bribery," The FCPA Blog, 2018
- Co-author, "Due diligence in Russia: A public register of bribe payers," The FCPA Blog, 2018