Dr. Christian Burholt is a partner in the Firm's Berlin office. He has more than 16 years of experience representing German and international clients in antitrust, dominance, and merger control law matters. Christian has been consistently recommended in various legal directories, including JUVE, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers in Germany, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal, for his antitrust, merger control, pharma, medtech and healthcare work. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2015, Christian was for seven years a member of the antitrust team of a major international law firm, and led for five years the antitrust practice group of Germany’s leading pharmaceutical and healthcare law boutique. Christian is admitted to the Berlin bar and a member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers and the Network Compliance. He regularly lectures and publishes on antitrust and merger control topics.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major international medical device company on the acquisition of an innovative medtech company.
- Advised a German hospital owner on the acquisition of a direct competitor.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company on the out-licensing of a medicinal product to a major international pharmaceutical company (transaction was used as a precedent by the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to the requirements of the new value-based transaction threshold).
- Advised Flowserve Corporation on the sale of its Gestra Group business unit to UK Spirax-Sarco Engineering plc.
- Advised ALBA Group in relation to an investment of the Techcent-owning family Deng in the ALBA Group.
- Advised Infracapital, the infrastructure equity investment arm of M&G Prudential, on its investment in the CCNST Group (including the telecommunications network operator Amplus AG), a leading provider of broadband services in Germany.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company in the context of actions against statutory health insurance funds (associations) due to joint tendering procedures in Germany.
- Advised international pharmaceutical and medical device companies on the implementation of price and rebate schemes in Germany.
- Advised a major international pharmaceutical company on the development and implementation of a new compliance system in the area of antitrust in Germany and the EU.
- Advised a leading association in the media sector on various aspects of German and EU antitrust law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers (Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht) - Member
- Network Compliance - Antitrust Committee Working Group (Netzwerk Compliance - AG Kartellrecht) - Member
- German Medicines Manufacturers' Association (BAH) - Legal Committee Member
- Berlin School of Economics and Law (Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin) - Lecturer for German and EU Competition Law
- Germany (2002)
- Specialized Attorney for Medical Law (Fachanwalt für Medizinrecht) (2014)
- University of Bonn (Doctorate) (2005)
- Higher Regional Court, Berlin (Second State Exam) (2002)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (1999)
- University of Durham (Master of Law) (1997)