Dr. Christian Burholt is a partner in the Firm's Berlin office. He has more than 17 years of experience representing German and international clients in antitrust, leniency, dominance, and merger control law matters. In addition, he is Head of the Firm's German and Austrian Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group and EMEA Healthcare Chair. Christian has been consistently recommended in various legal directories, including JUVE, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers in Germany, Legal 500, Expert Guides Life Sciences and Who’s Who Legal, for his antitrust, merger control, pharma, medtech and healthcare work. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2015, Christian was for seven years a member of the antitrust team of a major international law firm, and led for five years the antitrust practice group of Germany’s leading pharmaceutical and healthcare law boutique. Christian is admitted to the Berlin bar and a member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers and the Network Compliance. He regularly lectures and publishes on antitrust and merger control topics.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised a major international medical device company on the acquisition of an innovative medtech company.
Advised a German hospital owner on the acquisition of a direct competitor.
Advised an international pharmaceutical company on the out-licensing of a medicinal product to a major international pharmaceutical company (transaction was used as a precedent by the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to the requirements of the new value-based transaction threshold).
Advised global pharmaceutical company Lundbeck on the acquisition of Alder BioPharmaceuticals, a company committed to migraine treatment and prevention.
Advised Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd., a leading manufacturer of functional materials and advanced components with a strong portfolio in the life sciences industry, on the take over of German apceth Biopharma, a contract development & manufacturing organization for complex cell-based regenerative gene therapy products.
Advised Flowserve Corporation on the sale of its Gestra Group business unit to UK Spirax-Sarco Engineering plc.
Advised ALBA Group in relation to an investment of the Techcent-owning family Deng in the ALBA Group.
Advised international pharmaceutical and medical device companies on various antitrust matters, including the implementation of price and rebate schemes, supply quota systems, direct-to-pharmacy distribution, actions against statutory health insurance funds (associations) due to joint tendering procedures etc.
Advised a major international pharmaceutical company on the development and implementation of a new compliance system in the area of antitrust in Germany and the EU.
Advised a leading association in the media sector on various aspects of German and EU antitrust law.
- Well-recognised name in German competition law, commended for his “profound knowledge of the pharma sector”, Who's Who Legal, Germany - Competition 2021
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2020 for Competition / Antitrust Law and Health Care Law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers
- Recommended in Competition Future Leaders (Partners), Who's Who Legal 2020
- Regulatory Expert Life Science, Life Sciences Expert Guide, November 2018
- Tier 1 in the Health Sector, Legal 500, since 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Berlin Constitutional Court - Honorary Judge (Richter des Verfassungsgerichtshofes des Landes Berlin)
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers (Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht e.V.) - Member
- Network Compliance - Antitrust Committee Working Group (Netzwerk Compliance - AG Kartellrecht) - Member
- German Medicines Manufacturers' Association (BAH) - Legal Committee Member
- Berlin School of Economics and Law (Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin) - Lecturer for German and EU Competition Law
- Germany (2002)
- Specialized Attorney for Medical Law (Fachanwalt für Medizinrecht) (2014)
- University of Bonn (Doctorate) (2005)
- Higher Regional Court, Berlin (Second State Exam) (2002)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (1999)
- University of Durham (LL.M.) (1997)
- Update Krankenhausfusionskontrolle – Erleichterungen durch die 10. GWB-Novelle? – in: WuW 2021, S. 17 ff. (gemeinsam mit Jan Kresken)
- Wo liegt der Fokus der Kartellbehörden im Medizinproduktesektor? – in: Medizinprodukte Journal 2020, S. 104 ff. (gemeinsam mit Katrin Kurz)
- Kartellrecht in Zeiten von Covid-19 – in: PharmR 2020, S. 229 ff. (gemeinsam mit Katrin Kurz)
- Compliance Management System – Grundlagen, Aufbau, Umsetzung 05./06. und 12./.13.03.21, Berlin (Zoom) Fachhochschule Bielefeld: Zertifikatslehrgang "Compliance Manager Digitalisierung und Recht"
- Kartellrechtliche Rahmenbedingungen für Einkaufsgemeinschaften im Pharma-Bereich, 23.02.2021, Berlin (GoToMeeting), Sitzung des BPI-Rechtsausschusses (Bundesverband der Pharmazeutischen Industrie (BPI) e.V.)
- Update Fusionskontrolle - Schwerpunkt 10. GWB-Novelle, 21.01.2021, Berlin (Zoom), Baker McKenzie Virtuelle Kartellrechts-Updates 2020/2021