Dr. Christian Burholt is a partner in the Firm's Berlin office. He has more than 16 years of experience representing German and international clients in antitrust, dominance, and merger control law matters. In addition, he is Head of the Firm's German and Austrian Healthcare Industry Group. Christian has been consistently recommended in various legal directories, including JUVE, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers in Germany, Legal 500, Expert Guides Life Sciences and Who’s Who Legal, for his antitrust, merger control, pharma, medtech and healthcare work. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2015, Christian was for seven years a member of the antitrust team of a major international law firm, and led for five years the antitrust practice group of Germany’s leading pharmaceutical and healthcare law boutique. Christian is admitted to the Berlin bar and a member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers and the Network Compliance. He regularly lectures and publishes on antitrust and merger control topics.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major international medical device company on the acquisition of an innovative medtech company.
- Advised a German hospital owner on the acquisition of a direct competitor.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company on the out-licensing of a medicinal product to a major international pharmaceutical company (transaction was used as a precedent by the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to the requirements of the new value-based transaction threshold).
- Advised Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd., a leading manufacturer of functional materials and advanced components with a strong portfolio in the life sciences industry, on the take over of German apceth Biopharma, a contract development & manufacturing organization for complex cell-based regenerative gene therapy products.
- Advised Flowserve Corporation on the sale of its Gestra Group business unit to UK Spirax-Sarco Engineering plc.
- Advised ALBA Group in relation to an investment of the Techcent-owning family Deng in the ALBA Group.
- Advised Infracapital, the infrastructure equity investment arm of M&G Prudential, on its investment in the CCNST Group (including the telecommunications network operator Amplus AG), a leading provider of broadband services in Germany.
- Advised international pharmaceutical and medical device companies on various antitrust matters, including the implementation of price and rebate schemes, supply quota systems, direct-to-pharmacy distribution, actions against statutory health insurance funds (associations) due to joint tendering procedures etc.
- Advised a major international pharmaceutical company on the development and implementation of a new compliance system in the area of antitrust in Germany and the EU.
- Advised a leading association in the media sector on various aspects of German and EU antitrust law.
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for antitrust & competition law and health care, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Recommended in Competition Future Leaders (Partners), Who's Who Legal 2019
- Regulatory Expert Life Science, Life Sciences Expert Guide, November 2018
- Tier 1 in the Health Sector, Legal 500, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers (Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht) - Member
- Network Compliance - Antitrust Committee Working Group (Netzwerk Compliance - AG Kartellrecht) - Member
- German Medicines Manufacturers' Association (BAH) - Legal Committee Member
- Berlin School of Economics and Law (Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin) - Lecturer for German and EU Competition Law
- Germany (2002)
- Specialized Attorney for Medical Law (Fachanwalt für Medizinrecht) (2014)
- University of Bonn (Doctorate) (2005)
- Higher Regional Court, Berlin (Second State Exam) (2002)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (1999)
- University of Durham (Master of Law) (1997)
Fusionskontrolle erschwert Konsolidierung des deutschen Krankenhaussektors – in: WuW 2019, S. 363 ff.
Bericht der Europäischen Kommission zur kartell- und fusionskontrollrechtlichen Entscheidungspraxis im Arzneimittelsektor – in: PharmR, Heft 3/2019, S. 95 ff.
Innovative Arzneimittel im Spannungsfeld des Kartellrechts – in: Wolfgang Voit (Hrsg.), Compliance- und Regulierungsfragen / Naturheilkunde und Innovation, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, Baden-Baden 2018, S. 221 ff.
Legal Tech und Kartellrecht
Treffen der Arbeitsgruppe "Kartellrecht" des Netzwerk Compliance e.V.
Kartellrecht für Verbände
Baker McKenzie Breakfast Briefing
Aufbau und Optimierung eines kartellrechtlichen Compliance-Management-Systems
Coaching Day "Update Kartellrecht für Compliance Manager" des Berufsverbands der Compliance Manager (BCM) e.V.