María Angélica Burgos De la Ossa is a senior associate at Baker McKenzie's Bogotá office. She focuses her practice of more than 10 years in international arbitration, domestic arbitration and international investment law. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked as an attorney in the Dispute Resolution teams of two other law firms, as advisor to the government of Colombia, and as trainee at the International Court of Justice. Maria Angélica has been recognized as Future Leader in Arbitration by Who's Who Legal in 2019, 2020 and 2021. According to these publications: "The 'wonderful' María Angélica Burgos from Baker McKenzie is a 'tremendously thorough and committed attorney who is always on top of complex issues' and is “full of fresh and interesting ideas' thanks to her 'in-depth understanding of international law and human rights issues'”.
María Angélica has experience in international institutional and ad hoc arbitrations under ICSID, UNCITRAL and ICC rules, as well as in national arbitration proceedings administered by the Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá. She has advised and represented clients in disputes related to construction projects, distribution and commercial agency relationships, corporate disputes, and claims arising from share purchase agreements. She has also advised clients in proceedings of recognition and enforcement and annulment of awards before the Colombian Supreme Court of Justice. Additionally, María Angélica has advised Colombian companies on the content and application of international investment agreements (IIAs), as well as in potential claims against foreign governments. She has also provided legal counsel to international organizations and states concerning matters of public international law related to jurisdictional immunities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an American company in recognition and enforcement proceedings of a foreign award before the Colombian Supreme Court of Justice.
- Advised the branch of a multinational corporation in the automobile sector in a domestic arbitration involving claims of commercial agency, distribution and termination of a long-standing commercial relationship.
- Represented a Spanish multinational and a Colombian company, as members of a joint venture, in an ICC arbitration seated in Bogota in a dispute regarding the construction of a port in Colombia.
- Represented a Latin-American financial group in an ICC arbitration seated in Bogotá, in a dispute concerning the exercise post-closing rights of a share purchase agreement.
- Represented a company in the renewable energy sector and a group of its shareholders in a domestic arbitration concerning abuse of rights and decision-making within the company.
- Advised companies in the negotiation of settlement agreements involving commercial disputes.
- Acted as Arbitral Secretary in an ad hoc international investment arbitration under UNCITRAL rules.
- Advising clients on the implementation of obligations on business and human rights and due diligence standards.
- Recognized as Future Leader in Arbitration by Who's Who Legal, 2019-2021
- Best Lawyers Colombia, 2020-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Colombian Academy of International Law (ACCOLDI)
- Steering Committee member of the Arb40 Subcommittee, International Bar Association
- Submitted an amicus curiae to the Interamerican Court on Human Rights in a Request for Advisory Opinion, 2018
- Colombia (2009)
- ICC Advanced Arbitration Academy for Latin America (Certificate) (2018)
- New York University (LL.M. International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration) (2011)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Lawyer) (2008)
- Co-author, "Diplomatic Protection in the Context of International Investment Disputes", 15 International Law Journal, Revista Colombiana de Derecho Internacional, 243-278, 2009
- Author, "Double-Hatting in International Commercial Arbitration", 40 under 40 International Arbitration, 2018
- Speaker, "Congreso Internacional de Arbitraje en Materia de Construcción: Prevención de Riesgos, y Resolución de Conflictos en Proyectos de Infraestructura" and at the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum: "El Nuevo Reglamento de Dispute Boards de la ICC del 2015", San Pedro Sula, Honduras, January 2016
- Speaker, "International Arbitration in Latin America: Are We Innovating or Catching Up?", International Law 5.0, New York City, October 2016
- Speaker, "Constitution of the Arbitral Tribunal and attitudes of the Arbitrators", XIV International Arbitration Conference Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 2018
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein