Riza F. Buditomo is a partner in Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners' Tax & Trade Group in Jakarta. He focuses on corporate commercial and tax, and trade matters including export/import, customs, supply chain, food industry, direct-selling, anti-dumping, and corporate commercial work.
Riza has been involved in several due diligence projects for mergers and acquisitions, and in dealing with government authorities including the Ministry of Trade and the Indonesian Investment Coordinating Board (Badan Koordinasi Penanaman Modal – BKPM).
He also drafts legal due diligence reports, provides various legal advice, and assists major clients in a number of high-profile transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a well-known footwear company in relation to its supply chain restructuring to support sales revenue in Indonesia and minimize claims for royalties from the customs office.
- Assisting a major producer of photocopying machines and printers in issues regarding customs classification. These include submitting additional information for objections to the assessment issued by the customs office and an appeal to the tax court.
- Assisting clients in customs audits, eg, assessment on the dutiability of royalties on imported products.
- Assisting a large multinational producer of flavors and fragrances in restructuring its supply chain.
- Advising a well-known flavoring company in Asia on the restructure of its supply chain, including re-invoicing impact on Free Trade Area (FTA) preferential tariffs in Indonesia, to maximize FTA benefits.
- Representing a global safety-shoe manufacturing company in an appeal to the tax court on issues regarding back-to-back certificate of origin.
- Representing China's Hubei Xingfa Group in an anti-dumping petition involving its sodium tripolyphosphate products.
- Representing Istanbul Exporters’ Association, a body of Turkish exporters of wheat, seeds and cereal products, in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Indonesian government over wheat flour exported from Türkiye, Australia and Sri Lanka.
- Assisting a distributor and a retailer of exotic goods in obtaining local and international licenses to distribute and trade exotic goods in Indonesia.
- Assisting clients in various distribution matters, including drafting, reviewing, terminating and amending distribution agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
Inter-Pacific BAR Association 2005-2006
ASEAN Economic Community and International Matters - Head of the Permanent Committee appointed by the Indonesian Chambers of Commerce & Industry
- Indonesia (2010)
- University of California at Davis (Summer School Scholarship) (2009)
- University of Indonesia (B.A. Law) (2004)
- University of Indonesia (Accounting) (2002)
Author, "Indonesia's Consigned Goods, Asia-Pacific Focus," Bloomberg BNA Volume 16, Issue 4, October 2016
Author, "Indonesia, ASEAN Product Liability and Consumer Product Safety Law", Winyuchon Publication House, Thailand, 2016