Luis Briones is considered by prestigious legal publications as the leading tax lawyer in Spain and one of the best tax advisers in the world. Luis has practiced as state tax inspector and has held office executive adviser to the Secretary of State for the Treasury. He was a member on the Board for the Defence of Taxpayers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Pontegadea in the acquisition, jointly with BBVA, of Occidental Hoteles & Resorts for an amount of EUR785 million.
- Advises Laboratorios Almirall in international tax planning (M&A, reorganizations, transfer pricing).
- Advises some of the most important Spanish Family Offices in relation with their investments and investments structures, Inheritance Tax Planning and Family Governance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Madrid Bar Association
- Associacion de Abogados Especializados en Derecho Tributario
- International Fiscal Association
- Associacion Espanola de Derecho Financiero
- International Tax Planning Association
- International Bar Association
- Madrid~Spain (1987)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1986)
- Harvard Law School (International Tax Program) (1986)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Psychology) (1981)
- Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE), Madrid (M.B.A.) (1978)
- Deusto University (Law Degree) (1976)