Lindsay Wright Brett is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Houston office. She focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes and arbitration. She also has significant experience in internal investigations and in representing management in all aspects of labor and employment litigation. In addition, Lindsay is co-chair of the Houston office's Pro Bono Committee, and is committed to her pro bono practice, including the upcoming Texas Virtual Legal Clinic.
Lindsay primarily focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes and represents clients from a variety of industries in international and domestic arbitrations, including in front of the ICC, LCIA, ICDR and AAA, as well as in US federal and state court. She also has experience in corporate compliance counseling, internal investigations and grand jury investigations. Additionally, Lindsay represents management in all aspects of labor and employment law, including defending employers in cases involving employment discrimination, breach of employment contract and other employee-related claims.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained USD 45 million ICC arbitration award against a UAE entity on behalf of an oil and gas drilling company for a breach of drilling contract.
- Represented a publicly traded company in an ICC French law arbitration involving post-closing adjustment and indemnity disputes arising out of an acquisition worth over USD 300 million.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar AAA arbitration award in a breach of executive agreement case on behalf of a multinational energy trading company.
- Represented an energy company under federal investigation.
- Represented an international oil field service company in an LCIA arbitration in a dispute involving breach of contract regarding construction of an oil and gas production facility in Nigeria, securing a favorable settlement.
- Led a compliance review for a public college system.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement for a British exporter in US federal court litigation.
- Defended a commercial airline against allegations of systemic disability discrimination.
- Represented a specialty engineering firm in a dispute concerning the construction of facilities in the Baltic states.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- Texas Young Lawyers Association - Member
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2020-present
- Board Member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Texas Gulf Coast 2019-present
- Co-Chair, Baker McKenzie Houston Office Pro Bono Committee, 2018-present
- Planning Committee Chair, Texas Children's Rights Summit, 2018
- Member, Baker McKenzie Houston Office Pro Bono Committee, 2014-2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2020)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2012)
- Texas~United States (2011)
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2011)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A.) (2008)
- Author, "Forum Selection Clauses. D.C. Circuit enforces a forum selection clause choosing a board of grievances in Saudi Arabia as the exclusive forum," International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, September 2020
- Co-author, "Insurance Coverage for Business Interruption Losses: Managing Coverage for Business Risks and Losses Relating to COVID-19," April 2020
- Author, "Arbitration. Competence-competence. New York Supreme Court holds that when a parties' agreement specifically incorporates or references arbitration rules that give the tribunal the authority to rule on its own jurisdiction, courts should allow the arbitrators to decide validity issues," International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, July 2018
- Co-author, "T, G, and E under the FCPA: How Much is Too Much?" The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation, 2018
- Author, "Copyright. Act of State Doctrine. Fifth Circuit holds that the act of state doctrine does not forbid US courts from considering the applicability of copyright's first sale doctrine to foreign-made copies when the foreign copier was a government agency," International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, July 2017
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.