Lindsay Wright Brett is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Houston office. She focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes and arbitration. She also has significant experience in internal investigations and in representing management in all aspects of labor and employment litigation. In addition, Lindsay is co-chair of the Houston office's Pro Bono Committee, and is committed to her pro bono practice, including the upcoming Texas Virtual Legal Clinic.
Lindsay primarily focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes and represents clients from a variety of industries in international and domestic arbitrations, including in front of the ICC, LCIA, ICDR and AAA, as well as in US federal and state court. She also has experience in corporate compliance counseling, internal investigations and grand jury investigations. Additionally, Lindsay represents management in all aspects of labor and employment law, including defending employers in cases involving employment discrimination, breach of employment contract and other employee-related claims.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained USD 45 million ICC arbitration award against a UAE entity on behalf of an oil and gas drilling company for a breach of drilling contract.
- Represented a publicly traded company in an ICC French law arbitration involving post-closing adjustment and indemnity disputes arising out of an acquisition worth over USD 300 million.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar AAA arbitration award in a breach of executive agreement case on behalf of a multinational energy trading company.
- Represented an energy company under federal investigation.
- Represented an international oil field service company in an LCIA arbitration in a dispute involving breach of contract regarding construction of an oil and gas production facility in Nigeria, securing a favorable settlement.
- Led a compliance review for a public college system.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement for a British exporter in US federal court litigation.
- Defended a commercial airline against allegations of systemic disability discrimination.
- Represented a specialty engineering firm in a dispute concerning the construction of facilities in the Baltic states.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- Texas Young Lawyers Association - Member
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2020-present
- Board Member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Texas Gulf Coast 2019-present
- Co-Chair, Baker McKenzie Houston Office Pro Bono Committee, 2018-present
- Planning Committee Chair, Texas Children's Rights Summit, 2018
- Member, Baker McKenzie Houston Office Pro Bono Committee, 2014-2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2020)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2012)
- Texas~United States (2011)
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2011)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A.) (2008)
- Co-author, "Insurance Coverage for Business Interruption Losses: Managing Coverage for Business Risks and Losses Relating to COVID-19," April 2020
- Author, "Arbitration. Competence-competence. New York Supreme Court holds that when a parties' agreement specifically incorporates or references arbitration rules that give the tribunal the authority to rule on its own jurisdiction, courts should allow the arbitrators to decide validity issues," International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, July 2018
- Co-author, "T, G, and E under the FCPA: How Much is Too Much?" The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation, 2018
- Author, "Copyright. Act of State Doctrine. Fifth Circuit holds that the act of state doctrine does not forbid US courts from considering the applicability of copyright's first sale doctrine to foreign-made copies when the foreign copier was a government agency," International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, July 2017
- Co-author, "Employment Law Update: ADA, Pregnancy, ADEA and Texas Cases," Chapter 2, State Bar of Texas, Essentials of Business Law, 2015
- Contributing Editor, Baker & McKenzie International Labour and Compliance Handbook: Labour and Employment Compliance in the United States, Second Edition, 2013 and 2014
- Presenter, "Tales from the Crypt: Dealing with the Rambo Litigator," Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Litigation Practice Group Meeting, May 2017
- Presenter, "What Every Cross-Border M&A Lawyer Needs to Know About Dispute Resolution," May 2017
- Presenter, "Religion, Sex & Politics: Legal Developments for Employers on the Topics Your Mother Told You Never to Discuss in the Workplace," Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Labor & Employment Practice Group Meeting, June 2016
- Presenter, "How to Be Your Company's Super Hero: The Top Labor/Employment Legal Trends You Need to Know," May 2016
- Presenter, "Hot Topics in Employment Law," Texas Bar CLE Essentials of Business Law, November 2015
- Presenter, "Recruiting the Right Talent: The Top 5 Legal Issues Employers Need to Know in 2015," Baker & McKenzie US Employment Counseling & Litigation Webinar, September 2015
- Presenter, "Drug & Alcohol Abuse: Legal Updates Employers Need to Know," Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues, May 2015
- Presenter, "Navigating Employment Laws in the Wake of Low Oil Prices: A Guide to Layoffs," Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Labor & Employment Practice Group Meeting, April 2015
- Presenter, "Parental Leave and Pregnancy Accommodation," Baker & McKenzie US Employment Counseling & Litigation Webinar, April 2014
- Presenter, "Legal Developments and Practical Strategies for Managing Employee Leave and Accommodation Issues," Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Labor & Employment Practice Group Meeting, April 2014
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.