Jessica has experience acting in strategic commercial disputes before state, federal and appeal courts in relation to claims for breach of contract, negligence, equitable relief, contraventions of trade practices legislation, fraud, white collar crime, defamation, intellectual property, taxation, corporations law and cyber security. She also provides pre-publication, copyright, intellectual property and regulatory advice to national and international media and technology companies.
Jessica’s focus is on disputes in the technology, media and communications industries. Jessica has acted for national and international media and technology companies in commercial disputes relating to technology and data protection, misuse of confidential information, copyright, defamation, injurious falsehood and misleading or deceptive conduct.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for major telecommunications provider in relation to multiple data breach incidents including obtaining court orders to obtain identification information of the source of the hacks, obtaining and executing civil search and seizure orders and recovering lost information.
- Acting for ASX listed company in defending claims brought by a shareholder (one of Australia's largest wealth managers) in the Federal Court of Australia for oppression relating to a cross-shareholding.
- Advising and representing directors in connection with Australian Securities and Investment Commission investigations.
- Providing pre-publication, copyright, intellectual property and regulatory advice.
- Acting for Australian broadcaster in obtaining urgent interlocutory injunction preventing disclosure of winner of reality television program.
- Acting for a global social media providers in relation to urgent interlocutory injunctions to prevent the publication of allegedly confidential information.
- Acting for a major telecommunications provider in relation to a dispute with a service provider over misuse of secure eftpos transaction network.
- Acting in enforcement proceedings for alleged breaches of competition and consumer law, including for misuse of market power.
- Representing plaintiffs in taxation disputes relating to primary production exemption.
- Successfully representing asylum seeker client in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia for judicial review of decision to refuse protection visa.
- California~United States (2018)
- New South Wales~Australia (2014)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2014)
- Australian National University (LLB Hons, First class) (2012)
- Australian National University (BA) (2012)