Barrie Brejcha is a partner in the North American Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group. She concentrates her practice on corporate compliance, internal investigations and litigation of complex business disputes. She joined Baker McKenzie in 1990, following a clerkship in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Barrie advises organizations, at management and board levels, on the identification and mitigation of industry-related risk. She conducts internal compliance investigations on a variety of legal compliance issues, including competition and antitrust, anti-corruption, supply chain management and other regulatory issues. She works proactively with clients to develop and implement practical, risk-appropriate compliance programs, procedures and training.
Barrie has extensive experience representing clients in antitrust, securities and other complex commercial litigation. She defends companies, directors and officers in shareholder class actions and derivative litigation and in government enforcement investigations and regulatory proceedings by the United States Department of Justice and United States Securities and Exchange Commission. She advises clients on all aspects of the regulatory and litigation process, at both trial and appellate court levels.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducts internal investigations to address a wide variety of regulatory compliance issues, including antitrust and competition, anticorruption (including FCPA), business ethics, corporate codes of conduct and other compliance issues in a variety of industries (i.e., defense, communications, public relations, software and technology).
- Defended national brokerage firm in multidistrict antitrust litigation and parallel investigations by the SEC and DOJ into NASDAQ market-making activities.
- Advised aerospace and defense contractor regarding FCPA and anti-corruption compliance in connection with mergers, acquisitions, third-party engagements and offset projects.
- Defended pension fund consulting firm in high-profile civil litigation alleging USD 95 million in losses to LACERS' securities lending portfolio.
- Defended former CFO of financial services company in securities class action litigation alleging misrepresentation and failure to disclose material aspects of company's finances and operations. Interfaced with the company's D & O insurer to secure coverage.
- Defended publicly-listed steel company in securities class action litigation and SEC investigation involving allegations of improper revenue recognition.
- Defended former officer of waste disposal and recycling company in two SEC investigations and enforcement action involving charges of insider trading and corporate fraud.
- Defended broker-dealers in trial and appellate courts throughout the US in class actions challenging the industrywide practice of receipt of payments in exchange for order flow.
- Judge Suzanne B. Conlon, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (1988-1989)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation - Member Securities Litigation Committee - Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section - Member
- Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois - Member
(2007 - 2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1985)
- Illinois~United States (1985)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (JD , Law Journal) (1985)
- Northwestern University (BA , Political Science) (1982)
Co-author, "D&O Liability for Data Breaches by Third-Party Service Providers," Baker McKenzie Connect On Tech, 11 May 2020
Co-author, "Securities Claims and Government Investigations Relating to COVID-19: D&O Coverage Considerations," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, 23 April 2020
Author, "Collateral Civil Litigation: Strategic Considerations During an FCPA Investigation," Inside the FCPA, Autumn 2014
Co-author, "Critical Securities Litigation and D&O Insurance Issues for U.S. Listed Chinese Companies," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, August 2011
Co-author, "The Subprime Crisis: Investigating and Defending Disputes," ABA Securities Litigation Journal, Winter 2008