Barrie concentrates her practice on corporate compliance, internal investigations and complex business disputes. She conducts internal investigations on a broad range of issues, including compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, other federal laws and regulations, and corporate codes of conduct. She advises multinational corporations on anti-corruption issues and due diligence in connection with corporate transactions, including mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances in a variety of jurisdictions. She focuses her litigation practice on complex business disputes, antitrust and securities litigation, including defense of shareholder class actions and derivative litigation and representation of clients in parallel enforcement actions by the SEC and the DOJ.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted large scale internal investigations to resolve suspected violations of the FCPA and other anti-corruption laws for multinational companies in a variety of industries, including defense, communications, public relations, software, technology and transit freight forwarding.
- Advised a multinational Aerospace and Defense contractor in connection with mergers, acquisitions, third-party relationships and offset projects in a variety of international jurisdictions regarding FCPA and anti-corruption compliance and due diligence.
- Defended a pension fund consulting firm in a high profile civil litigation concerning alleged USD 95 million in losses to LACERS' securities lending portfolio.
- Defended a national brokerage firm in multidistrict antitrust litigation and parallel investigations by the SEC and DOJ into NASDAQ market-making activities.
- Defended the former CFO of a financial services holding company in a federal securities class action litigation alleging misrepresentation and failure to disclose critical aspects of the company's finances and operations. Interfaced with D & O insurer to secure coverage for defense costs.
- Defended a Taiwanese company and one of its directors in a federal securities fraud litigation and subsequent appeal regarding the constitutionality of the Foreign Private Issuer Exemption.
- Defended a publicly-listed steel company in a securities class action litigation and related SEC investigation involving allegations of improper revenue recognition.
- Defended a former officer of a waste disposal and recycling company in two SEC investigations and related federal court litigation involving charges of insider trading and corporate fraud.
- Defended local broker-dealers in trial and appellate courts throughout the US, in a series of nationwide class actions challenging the industrywide practice of receipt of payments in exchange for order flow.
- Represented a D & O insurer of energy and utility companies in large, high-exposure shareholder securities class actions and derivative litigation filed against insured members and in related coverage disputes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Member
- American Bar Association, Securities Litigation Committee - Co-Chair (2007-2010)
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section - Member
- Federal Trial Bar - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1985)
- Illinois~United States (1985)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (JD Law Journal) (1985)
- Northwestern University (BA Political Science) (1982)