Barrie Brejcha has extensive experience advising companies and their boards of directors on a broad range of securities, antitrust and anti-corruption compliance issues. She has practiced before the US Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Justice, and represented clients in class actions and other federal and state court litigation throughout the US.
Barrie concentrates on corporate internal investigations, corporate compliance and complex business disputes. She advises multinational corporations and conducts internal investigations of compliance issues, including compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. She advises clients in various industries on anti-corruption issues and due diligence in corporate transactions, including mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances in a variety of international jurisdictions. She also helps clients successfully navigate the merger clearance process before the US and international antitrust authorities. Her litigation practice focuses on complex business disputes, antitrust and securities litigation, including defense of class action and shareholder derivative litigation and representation of clients in parallel enforcement actions by the SEC and the DOJ.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted large scale internal investigation on behalf of a multinational public relations firm regarding possible FCPA violations arising from the acquisition of a business unit in China.
- Advised a multinational Aerospace and Defense contractor in connection with mergers, acquisitions and offset projects in a variety of international jurisdictions regarding FCPA and global anti-corruption compliance and anti-corruption due diligence.
- Defended a pension fund consulting firm in a high profile civil litigation concerning alleged USD 95 million in losses to LACERS' securities lending portfolio.
- Defended a national brokerage firm in multidistrict antitrust litigation and parallel investigations by the US SEC and US DOJ into NASDAQ market-making activities.
- Represented a D & O insurer of energy and utility companies in large, high-exposure shareholder securities class actions and derivative litigation filed against insured members and in related coverage disputes.
- Defended the former CFO of a financial services holding company in a federal securities class action litigation alleging misrepresentation and failure to disclose critical aspects of the company's finances and operations. Interfaced with D & O insurer to confirm coverage for defense costs.
- Defended a Taiwanese company and one of its directors in a federal securities fraud litigation and subsequent appeal regarding the constitutionality of the Foreign Private Issuer Exemption.
- Defended a publicly-listed steel company in a securities class action litigation and related SEC investigation involving allegations of improper revenue recognition.
- Defended a former officer of a waste disposal and recycling company in two SEC investigations and related federal court litigation involving charges of insider trading and corporate fraud.
- Defended local broker-dealers in trial and appellate courts throughout the US, in a series of nationwide class actions challenging the industrywide practice of receipt of payments in exchange for order flow.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Member
- American Bar Association, Securities Litigation Committee, 2007-2010 - Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section - Member
- Federal Trial Bar - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1985)
- Illinois~United States (1985)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D. Law Journal) (1985)
- Northwestern University (B.A. Political Science) (1982)