Daniel Botero Vargas joined Baker McKenzie in March 2000.
Daniel focuses on banking & finance, with particular emphasis on financial, foreign exchange, securities and reinsurance regulation, and trade finance and consumer finance. He also devotes a substantial part of his time to the structuring and negotiation of loan facilities and ancillary guaranty / collateral structures.
Representative Legal Matters
Banking and Finance Regulation
- Advised a number of foreign banks and asset managers in the promotion of financial services in Colombia, including ABN Amro Bank, Fortress Investment, Harris Associates, Legg Mason, Merrill Lynch, Nomura Securities, MFS Asset Management, and The Bank of New York Mellon.
- Advised a number of foreign banks in the setting-up / operation of service structures in Colombia, including Credicorp Bank, Lloyds Bank, MFS Investment, Nomura Securities International, The Bank of New York Mellon, Renta 4 Banco, and an investment bank.
- Provided regulatory advice to technology and e-commerce companies on the implementation of payment systems.
- Acted as in-house counsel at Corporación Andina de Fomento, an international development bank, for 2 years.
Foreign Exchange Regulations
- Provides day to day advice to a substantial number of large multinational clients on their foreign exchange transactions.
- Provides regular advice to oil and gas companies on their foreign exchange transactions.
- Advised Virgin Mobile Latin America in the negotiation and renegotiation of finance facilities with IFC and CAMIF.
- Advised a global alternative asset manager in the negotiation of a credit facility for the acquisition of and energy distribution company.
- Advised Terranum in the negotiation of a credit facility for the acquisition of a large hotel chain.
- Advised the Coremar group in the refinancing of its local credit facilities.
- Highlighted lawyer in Banking & Finance, Legal 500, 2014
- Associates to Watch in Banking, Chambers & Partners, 2013
- Colombia (2004)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM Banking Law & Financial Regulation with merit honors) (2010)
- University of Los Andes (Graduate Studies Finance Law) (2004)
- University of Los Andes (JD) (2004)
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein