Dr. Tobias Born is an associate in the Information Technology Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's Frankfurt office. He joined the Firm and was admitted to the German bar in March 2016. He studied law at the University of Bielefeld, La Trobe University in Melbourne and University of Muenster. During his legal clerkship he worked for a German data protection authority as well as international law firms. In 2014 he obtained his doctorate degree on a topic related to German data protection authorities. He has written numerous essays and articles on data protection law.
Dr. Born advises German and international companies on all aspects of information technology law, IT outsourcing, data protection law as well as e-commerce related matters. His practice covers issues concerning domestic and cross-border data privacy, and involves various aspects of IT contract law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised GFKL Lowell on information technology and data protection law issues in course of the acquisition of the Austrian IS Inkasso Service GmbH group, a leading collection service provider in Austria.
- Advised a Swiss multinational pharmaceutical company in connection with a big data project related to health data and scientific research data.
- Advised a Swiss company with regard to data protection law and consumer protection law issues in connection with a mobile banking application.
- Advised the German subsidiary of an international biopharmaceutical company in connection with the outsourcing of HR data processing from entities in 12 European countries and Russia to an US cloud provider including the filing with data protection authorities.
- Advised the German subsidiary of a large Swiss bank in connection with a global outsourcing of HR data processing to India.
- Advised the German subsidiary of a globally operating medical device company in connection with the transfer of health data to the USA.
- Germany (2016)
- Regional Court of Appeal Dusseldorf (Assessor Exam) (2016)
- Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster (Dr. iur.) (2014)
- Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster (Referendar Exam) (2011)
- La Trobe University (2008)
- University of Bielefeld (2006)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten, Wirtschaftsprüfern und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.