Sebastian Boada Morales is a senior associate at Baker McKenzie's Bogota office. He has over 8 years of professional experience. He has acted for both lenders and borrowers in local and international finance deals.
He is primarily involved in project finance as well as acquisition finance transactions. He also advises on the drafting and negotiation of derivatives agreements including ISDA Master Agreements and the local Asobancaria master agreement.
Before joining the Firm, Sebastian was Director of Public Enforcement at the Superintendence of Companies. He also served as Deputy Superintendent for Corporate Surveillance and Control. Previously, he worked at a major Colombian law firm.
He has a law degree from Universidad de Los Andes in Colombia and an LLM (merit) in Banking Law and Financial Regulation from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Representative Legal Matters
Shell International Trading Limited: investment in a Colombian large-scale forestry project for the issuance of verified carbon emissions reduction certificates, for an amount of USD 100 million (2019).
Itaú CorpBanca Colombia and Itaú NY Branch: dual-currency refinancing for a project to construct and operate two hidroelectric power plants in Colombia, for USD 78 million (2019).
Jeronimo Martins – Tiendas Ara: advisor to borrower in a US Dollar facility provided by International Finance Corporation for USD 90 million (2019).
Scotiabank Colpatria S.A. and Scotiabank Perú: acquisition finance for three companies in Colombia, Chile and Peru in a buyout from the Carlyle Group (2019).
Landesbank Baden-Württemberg: export credit financing of industrial equipment for an Andean conglomerate (2019).
Yellowstone Capital Partners: joint venture with Amarilo for the development of real estate projects through several private equity funds (2018).
TMF Group: collateral agent in a 144A Reg S. issuance for USD 800 millones (2018).
Höegh LNG: collateral package, including vessels, as security for a global group financing for USD 385 million (2018).
- Colombia (2011)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM Banking Law and Financial Regulation) (2015)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Law Degree) (2011)
- Author, “La naturaleza jurídica de la cuenta bancaria," Revista de Derecho Privado, Universidad Externado, December, 2018
- Author, “Modernizing Colombian Corporate Law: The Judicial Transplant of the Business Judgment Rule,” Indonesian Journal of International and Comparative Law, April, 2018
- Author, “Documentación de Derivados financieros en el mercado no estandarizado,” Editorial Académica Española, June, 2015
- Author, “Documentación de derivados financieros transfronterizos en el mercado no estandarizado: nivelando el campo de juego,” Revista de Derecho Privado Universidad de los Andes. n.° 50., December, 2013
- Author, “El concepto de Expropiación según el arbitraje internacional de inversions,” Escritos sobre arbitraje. Bogotá: Cámara de Comercio de Bogotá, November, 2010