Kerry Blair is a seasoned trial lawyer of major, complex business cases. He has served as lead counsel in many jury and bench trials and in arbitration hearings involving clients across the energy industry and disputes alleging hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
Kerry has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in business litigation each year from 2005-2019, as well as being named one of America’s Most Honored Professionals from 2014-2018 by the American Registry. In 2018, Kerry was selected by Who’s Who in America to receive its Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award. Mr. Blair has served as Houston managing partner, a member of the Firm’s Global Policy Committee, chair of its Houston litigation group and as the North American representative to the Firm's Global Ethics and Practice Committee.
Kerry focuses on complex energy industry litigation, both domestic and international. He has over 40 years of experience resolving oil and gas, energy, chemical, trade secrets, securities fraud, construction and banking disputes. He has broad experience representing multinational companies in high profile cases before courts throughout the United States.
Articles and comments by Kerry have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, ABA Journal, ACCA Docket, the American Banker, National Law Journal, the Texas Lawyer and various other newspapers and business journals, both domestic and international.
Representative Legal Matters
Unless otherwise noted, Mr. Blair served as lead counsel in each of the following cases:
Forced multiple dismissals of USD 10 billion to USD 22 billion claims against international oil companies and arising out of major oil discoveries offshore Kazakhstan. Between 2003 and 2013, three separate cases were filed in three different US federal courts, each with separate allegations. All were dismissed.
Successfully defended multinational chemical companies in a lengthy jury trial involving an USD 800 million economic espionage and trade secrets claims.
Obtained a defense jury verdict for integrated energy companies in an oil and gas dispute involving oil concessions offshore Abu Dhabi, UAE, and damages in excess of USD 100 million.
Successfully defended state owned oil companies against claims seeking USD 440 million arising out of a USD 6 billion LNG project in Indonesia.
Secured a no liability jury verdict on behalf of a producer of natural gas in a USD 33 million royalty owner case filed by an independent oil and gas company.
Obtained another zero jury verdict on behalf of a natural gas producer in a USD 30 million fraud and contract action filed by a publicly traded holding company.
Acted as lead counsel for a Spanish banking family in their high profile, billion-dollar case against a Texas bank holding company and its attorneys. In one of the largest and most successful lender liability cases ever filed, the clients received properties, debt forgiveness and cash valued well into nine figures.
Led the effort by a dozen major oil companies to consolidate pretrial proceedings in 36 oil and gas property tax cases pending throughout Texas. Cases ultimately dismissed.
Represented a former US Treasury Secretary and Senator and his family in resolving environmental issues with the major oil company operator on his family's producing properties.
Obtained a directed verdict and dismissal on behalf of one cogeneration developer sued for over USD 100 million and successfully defended another in a delay claim concerning the construction of a USD 120 million co-generation plant.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Institute for Energy Law - Advisory Board Member
- Houston Bar Association - Administration of Justice Committee
- Texas Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- U.S. District Court, Delaware~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
- Texas~United States (1976)
- Supreme Court of Texas~United States (1976)
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D.) (1976)
- Southern Methodist University (B.A.) (1973)