Dr. Guy Birkenmeier counsels biotechnology and healthcare clients on a broad spectrum of technology-driven transactions involving intellectual property evaluation, licensing, acquisition, and sales. His work includes all stages of the transaction life cycle from early stage diligence and goal-setting, through preparing and negotiating the transaction documents, to integrating the acquired assets. He also collaborates with clients to efficiently grow and manage their portfolios, assess their freedom to operate, and develop invalidity and reexamination strategies with respect to third party patents. Prior to entering law school, he spent over a decade as a researcher in the fields of biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, microscopy and plant physiology.
Dr. Birkenmeier’s intellectual property practice focuses on patent matters, especially those pertaining to biochemistry, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, biologics, chemistry and plant sciences.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled a major private university medical school in launching an innovative collaboration with a pharmaceutical company to create and develop cellular immunotherapy products.
- Counseled a biopharmaceutical company regarding trade secrets and third party patents related to biologics products.
- Assisted a leading international healthcare company with evaluation and acquisition of a multi-million dollar immuno-oncology company.
- Counseled a non-profit university medical school in moving its genetic testing services and associated patents and know how into a for-profit joint venture.
- Represented a global company in the strategic growth of its portfolio of proprietary technology related to elastomeric polymer compositions.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 food and nutrition company's patents to starch compositions against ex parte reexamination.
Biotechnology and Plant Science
- Counseled a biotechnology client regarding its portfolio of DNA-directed RNA interference intellectual property in connection with its multi-million dollar NASDAQ initial public offering.
- Counseled a global biotechnology company regarding its innovative biological pest management technologies in connection with its multi-million dollar acquisition by a leading agriculture company.
- Represented an information technology company in prosecuting an inter partes reexamination of a competitor's patent related to software for managing blood collection, serological cross matching, and transfusion on behalf of the third party requester.
- Assisted a clean energy start-up company with the identification and development of their intellectual property assets.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Dallas Bar Association - Member
- Texas~United States (2005)
- New York~United States (2005)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office~United States (2003)
- Fordham University School of Law
- Washington State University (Ph.D. Biochemistry)
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette (B.S. Microbiology)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.