Reinhardt Biermann is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's IPTech and Corporate Practice Groups in Johannesburg and a member of the global TMT industry group.
Reinhardt focusses on telecommunications, broadcasting and media law. His areas of expertise relate to general regulatory, intellectual property, commercial and privacy law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafting a range of technology, software development, SaaS, service level, licensing and e-commerce agreements.
- Preparing regulatory advice for technology, e-commerce, media and FinTech companies on new business and product developments.
- Making submissions to Parliament on the Copyright Amendment Bill.
- Conducting due diligence investigations in the TMT, retail and commercial sectors, with a specific focus on regulatory and intellectual property matters.
- Providing strategic advice on the commercialisation of intellectual property matters and the protection thereof.
- Reviewing and drafting a range of telecommunications agreements, including network service agreements and master service agreements for MVNO arrangements and resellers.
- Advising Aveng Limited in its disposal of its Aveng Rail business division to Mathupha Capital (Pty) Ltd for ZAR 133 million.
- Advising on the acquisition of a software development company and related intellectual property risks.
- Providing advice on data privacy laws and conducting multijurisdictional compliance assessments.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces, South Africa
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property
- South Africa (2015)
- University of Johannesburg (LLM in Commercial Law, cum laude) (2018)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) (Course on IP Valuations and Licensing) (2015)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (Advanced Domain Name Dispute Resolution Course) (2015)
- University of Stellenbosch (BA, LLB) (2012)