Stefan Bessman heads the Dispute Resolution practice in the Stockholm office. He is a seasoned litigator with more than 25 years' experience of resolving disputes in the Swedish courts and in arbitration, including several landmark cases tried in the Swedish Supreme Court. He served as chairman of Baker McKenzie's Insurance Practice Group from 2004 to 2012. He served on the Managing Committee of the Stockholm office in 2008-2010 and was reappointed for another term in 2013. He has been appointed to several government committees in legislative matters and serves as a member of the board of the Swedish Sports Confederation since 2013.
Stefan Bessman focuses primarily on insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, reinsurance commutations and insurance regulatory issues. He also advises clients in dispute resolution in other financial services areas and in insolvency matters. He is widely recognized in the insurance and reinsurance industry and is frequently appointed to arbitration tribunals in international and domestic arbitrations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented more than 40 reinsurance companies against the bankruptcy estate of a Swedish credit & guarantee insurer in arbitration and litigation arising out of coverage issues relating to reinsurance of financial guarantees.
- Represented a Finnish reinsurer against a Swedish insurer and a Luxembourg bank in litigation relating to financial guarantees for real estate acquisition.
- Represented a German construction company against a Ukrainian State Entity in arbitration relating to a construction project at a damaged nuclear power plant.
- Represented a Norwegian insurer in a dispute over the quality of a portfolio of insurance policies purchased by the Norwegian company.
- Represented a Finnish insurer in litigation relating to co-insurance of elevator accidents in the US.
- Represented a UK life insurer in litigation relating to recovery of overpayments to pension insurance beneficiaries.
- Represented a Swedish insurer in litigation and arbitration arising out of business interruption claims in the mining and automotive industries.
- Represented a major supplier to the automotive industry in arbitration arising out of the insolvency of a Swedish automotive company.
- Represented a major Russian oil company in arbitration concerning a joint venture.
- Represented a US based insurer in litigation concerning coverage issues in D&O and Professional Indemnity claims.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association Internationale de Droit D'Assurances
- Swedish Insurance Law Association
- Sweden (1996)
- University of Stockholm (LL.M.) (1989)
Stefan Bessman is a contributing author to the Swedish edition of Karnov and a contributing author to the Juris Publishing book International Arbitration Checklist, launched in 2003.
Baker & McKenzie Advokatbyrå KB is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.