Markus Berni is an experienced mergers and acquisitions counsel and a highly regarded corporate and commercial transactions practitioner. He joined Baker McKenzie in 1991 and served as Zurich's representative on the Policy Committee of Baker & McKenzie International. He is a member of the Legal Chapter of the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Berni’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate restructuring. He advises clients on governance and compliance matters and serves on the Swiss boards of directors of a number of international clients. Mr. Berni also provides legal counsel on a broad range of commercial—often cross-border—transactions, including distribution structures, development and licensing agreements, integration and outsourcing projects, and technology agreements. He also advises in the area of international trade (e.g. sanctions regimes). Many of his clients are technology companies active in the telecommunications and in the internet/e-commerce sector, as well as enterprises with or in the process of establishing Blockchains.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an overseas international beverages company on its corporate migration to Switzerland.
- Advised a multinational technology company in a procurement matter and successfully defended it in a large case involving an IT project dispute.
- Advised an international satellite operator on the restructuring of its Swiss operations as well as regulatory matters.
- Represented Tiger Global on the sale of jobs.ch to Tamedia and Ringier.
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company on its acquisition of a company in Switzerland, followed by corporate advisory on a broad range of issues.
- Acted for a listed Swiss pharmaceutical company in connection with a divestiture.
- Advised an international organization on governance matters and the conclusion of a headquarter agreement with the Swiss Confederation.
- Advised a Swiss-based trading company on compliance with the Iran sanctions.
- Advised and represented a private equity investor in connection with its acquisition of Swiss fibre to home networks.
- Advises a leading Blockchain enterprise in connection with its roll-out and launch.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Switzerland (1988)
- University of St. Gallen (Dr. iur.) (1992)
- University of Virginia (LL.M.) (1991)
- University of St. Gallen (lic. iur.) (1984)
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.