Dr. Werner Berg is a partner in the Firm's Brussels office. A seasoned lawyer with 20 years' experience, his practice covers the entire spectrum of European Union EU and German antitrust law. Werner is recommended in Chambers Global and Chambers Europe, Legal 500 EMEA, European Legal Experts and Best Lawyers. He became an Acritas star in 2018. Werner is a regular speaker at conferences, including the Academy of European Law on European merger control. He also teaches a course on German merger control at Queen Mary University of London and is the co-editor of the commentary Berg/Mäsch, Deutsches und Europäisches (3rd ed. 2018).
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained unconditional clearance for Sappi’s acquisition of Cham Paper Group’s paper business (with press release).
- Successfully defending major energy company in abuse of dominance investigation by the European Commission.
- Obtaining unconditional clearance for FedEx in its USD/EUR 4.4 billion acquisition of TNT Express in 20 jurisdictions worldwide.
- Successfully defending consumer goods company in investigation regarding the restriction of online sales by the German Bundeskartellamt.
- Obtaining unconditional clearance for Alcoa in its USD 2.85 billion acquisition of Firth Rixson, a leading manufacturer of components for aerospace jet engines, by the European Commission and in six other jurisdictions.
- Successfully representing a multinational in a Phase II merger proceeding before the European Commission.
- Represented the European Commission before the Court of Justice (Case C-56/12 P, EFIM) and the General Court (Case T-296/09, EFIM) regarding the rejection of an abuse of dominance complaint in the aftermarket for ink cartridges for inkjet printers.
- Obtaining unconditional clearance in dual joint venture in multijurisdictional filing in the airline engine field.
- Advised Nestlé on its partial demerger from BPW, a joint venture with Coca-Cola, in the ready-to-drink tea business.
- Advised Galderma Pharma, a 50/50 joint venture of Nestlé and L'Oreal, on its CHF1.1 billion acquisition of Q-Med, a Swedish manufacturer of high quality medical products for aesthetic and medical use.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Brussels~Belgium (2000)
- Germany (1997)
- University of Trier (Doctor of Law magna cum laude) (1997)
- University of East Anglia (Master of Laws (LL.M.)) (1992)