David A. Berek is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Chicago office. With nearly 30 years of experience as a lawyer and tax accountant, and a multidisciplinary approach to wealth management, he was recognized as the top private client planning professional by Family Office Review in 2015. Mr. Berek also teaches family office and multigenerational planning as an adjunct professor in DePaul University's wealth management graduate program.
Mr. Berek assists wealthy families, high net worth individuals, corporate executives and privately owned family businesses in advanced wealth planning, and devises transfer tax planning strategies for sophisticated partnerships and family office structures. His practice covers grantor trust planning, lifetime taxable transfers to generation-skipping transfer tax (GST) exempt trusts, and the utilization of self-cancelling notes, private annuities, and grantor retained annuity trusts. He also assists in creating and maintaining charitable remainder trusts, family foundations, pre-immigration planning and expatriate planning.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a multigenerational family in restructuring the tax and legal structure of their family office entities and investment holding partnership.
- Counseled a prominent family on a wealth transfer involving a private annuity and self-cancelling installment note.
- Assisted the US heirs of a multibillion-dollar family in a wealth transfer involving currency controls in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised several corporate executives and wealthy families on GST exempt defective grantor trust transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Chair, Fiduciary Income Tax, Tax Section
- Illinois State Bar Association - Former Chair, Trust & Estate Section Council
- Chicago Bar Association - Former Chair, Estate Planning Committee
- Certified Public Accountant (Illinois)
- Certified Financial Planner
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) - Fellow and Co-Chair of the State Income Tax Subcommittee for the Fiduciary Income Tax Committee
- Arizona~United States (2016)
- Florida~United States (2000)
- Illinois~United States (1999)
- The John Marshall Law School (LL.M. with honors Employee Benefits) (2006)
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D. cum laude) (1999)
- DePaul University (Accounting) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.