John Bell is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg. John's experience spans a broad range of sectors, including construction, engineering, mining, agriculture and financial services. Prior to joining the Firm, John acted as legal counsel and company secretary to a leading South African agricultural company.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a JSE-listed entity in relation to disputes pertaining to listing requirements and restatement of financial statements.
- Advised an international aviation company in international arbitration proceedings with its joint venture partner.
- Advised the liquidators of a construction company in relation to international arbitration proceedings pertaining to the construction of a power plant in Ghana.
- Advised minority shareholders and board members in High Court proceedings relating to disputes pertaining to the disposal of a company by majority shareholders.
- Advised a JSE-listed entity in domestic arbitration proceedings with an off-taker of products in respect of the interpretation of a minimum guaranteed supply agreement.
- Advised a client in the railway industry in judicial review proceedings against Transnet SOC Limited.
- Advised an international client on a dispute pertaining to the exercise of a call option that included mediation and High Court proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association - Member
- INSOL - Member
- South Africa (2009)
- University of Pretoria (Certificate Advanced Insolvency Litigation and Administration Practice) (2014)
- University of Witwatersrand (Certificate Company Law) (2011)
- University of Stellenbosch (B.Com. Accounting, LLB) (2006)