John Bell is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg. John's experience spans a broad range of sectors, including construction, engineering, mining, agriculture and financial services. Prior to joining the Firm, John acted as legal counsel and company secretary to a leading South African agricultural company.
John represents and advises corporate and commercial clients in all aspects relating to commercial litigation and dispute resolution including domestic arbitrations and mediations. He also advises on general commercial disputes with a particular focus on insolvency, restructuring and business rescue, banking, post mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory and public procurement.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Evraz, Mastercroft and East Metals in the business rescue of Highveld Steel and Vanadium and Mapochs Mine.
- Advised Adcorp Fulfillment Services in relation to a dispute pertaining to a joint venture arrangement.
- Advised TMS Group Industrial Services in review proceedings brought against Eskom relating to the award of service level contracts.
- Advised Thabametsi Power Company in review proceedings brought by Earthlife Africa Johannesburg relating to granting of licenses for the construction and operation of a coal power station.
- Advised the South African Reserve Bank in relation to the liquidation and sequestration of entities and individuals linked to an unlawful deposit taking scheme.
- Advised Rebserve Facilities Management in relation to the termination of service level agreements and ancillary corporate disputes.
- Advised AAR Corp in review proceedings relating to the awarding of a contract for the rendering of technical services to South African Airways Technical.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association - Member
- INSOL - Member
- South Africa (2009)
- University of Pretoria (Certificate Advanced Insolvency Litigation and Administration Practice) (2014)
- University of Witwatersrand (Certificate Company Law) (2011)
- University of Stellenbosch (B.Com. Accounting, LLB) (2006)