Edward Bekeschenko is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Moscow office. He is ranked as a leading lawyer in dispute resolution by Chambers and Legal 500. Prior to joining the Firm in 2001, Mr. Bekeschenko headed the legal department of a major Russian metallurgical company and was vice president of a Belarusian law firm.
Mr. Bekeschenko focuses his practice on litigation, international arbitration and compliance. He also advises on various IT- and telecom-related matters as well as antimonopoly regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Rosselkhoznadzor (RSN), a federal authority enforcing veterinary and phytosanitary requirements, in challenging in court a decision of Russia's competition watchdog, which charged RSN with anticompetitive collusion with a business association of fish producers.
- Represented a major international pharmaceutical company in administrative proceedings initiated against the client for corrupt activity of its employee.
- Represented a multinational electronics company in a dispute out of distributorship agreement for the recovery of contractual payments owed to the client.
- Represented a major international automotive manufacturer in claims initiated by consumers against the manufacturer in several regions in Russia for the return of the purchase price and penalties due to revealed defects in cars.
- Represented the Russian subsidiary of one of the world’s biggest producers of premium cars and the world’s biggest manufacturer of commercial vehicles in connection with an antimonopoly investigation initiated by Russia's competition watchdog.
- Represented an electronic equipment producer in a dispute over a contract for the development and supply of electronics with the customer claiming contractual penalties and damages of over USD15 million.
- Represented Novo-Nordisk A/S, a leading Danish insulin manufacturer, in settlement negotiations with Russian competition authorities.
- Represented Acer Inc. in the anti-monopoly investigation initiated by Russia's competition watchdog against the client and several other computer manufacturers with respect to allegations of unlawful tying of certain operating systems to notebook computers.
- Represented Lukoil in multijurisdictional disputes in Kazakhstan, the Netherlands and Sweden relating to its activities in Kazakhstan.
- Represented a large American bank in Russian and US proceedings initiated against the institution. Claims amounted to USD280 million.
- Leading individual in Dispute Resolution in Russia, Legal 500 EMEA, 2011-2015
- Band 2 in Dispute Resolution: Domestic, Chambers Europe 2015
- Band 2 in Dispute Resolution: Domestic, Chambers Global 2015
- Band 3 in TMT, Chambers Europe, 2014-2015
- Band 2 in TMT, Chambers Europe, 2012-2013
- Band 3 in Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Europe 2015
- Band 3 in Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Global 2015
- Russia (1993)
- Byelorussian State Univ. of Economics (B.A. Accounting) (1997)
- Duke University (LL.M.) (1994)
- Byelorussian State University (Law Degree) (1993)
Mr. Bekeschenko is an author of a number of articles and expert opinions published in Russian and international legal editions. In addition, Mr. Bekeschenko has participated in numerous conferences and seminars.
- Co-author, "Russia: Consumer Rights Watchdog Cancels Routine Inspections," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 18 September 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Restrictions do not Automatically Exempt Businesses From Liability," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
- Co-author, "Enforcement of judgments and arbitral awards in the Russian Federation: Overview," Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, January 2020