Joseph Bates is an associate in the Commercial Real Estate Group in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office. He previously worked in the Energy Resources Infrastructure and Corporate and Commercial Litigation teams.
Joseph's practice focuses on commercial property advisory, leasing and structuring aspects of property transactions, freehold and leasehold acquisitions, and general conveyancing. He also supports the Firm’s Corporate team on all matters relating to property due diligence in M&A deals.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a confidential client on the acquisition of the leasehold title of Chatswood Central.
- Acting for the vendor on the sale of a five-star hotel building in the Melbourne CBD.
- Acting for a major international supermarket chain on all aspects of their leasehold and freehold portfolio, including leasing disputes.
- Acting for the vendor on the sale of 52 Phillip Street, Sydney.
- Conducting mandatory verification of identity checks for numerous clients.
- President's Award, Australian Law Students' Society 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Out for Australia - Mentor
- Advised Justice Connect's Self-Representation Service in their work with refugees and asylum seekers who are applying for the judicial review of their visa decisions.
- Contributor to research and policy papers for various pro bono clients including the rights of those in forced marriages and Queensland Parliament's 2016 Human Rights Act Inquiry.
- Serves as an active member of BakerLGBTI committee and its broader diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Volunteer Mock Trial Magistrate for the Law Society of NSW's High School Mock Trial Competition
- Supreme Court of New South Wales~Australia (2016)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2016)
- University of Newcastle (LLB (Honours)/Diploma of Legal Practice) (2015)
- University of Newcastle (Bachelor of Science Biology) (2013)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.