Joseph Bates is an associate in the Energy, Resources, Infrastructure and Corporate team in Sydney and joined Baker McKenzie in March 2016. He has also previously worked in the Dispute Resolution and Commercial Real Estate teams. He was admitted to practice in February 2016.
Joseph's advises clients on energy, resources and infrastructure transactions. He has experience in mergers and acquisitions and privatisations in those industries and regularly assist industry participants with commercial and corporate governance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Completed a 3-month secondment to Sydney Motorway Corporation to assist with the NSW Government's proposed sale of WestConnex, as well as ongoing advice to Sydney Motorway Corporation in regards to the proposed sale.
- Advised China Huadian on its AUD 4 billion bid to acquire Alinta Energy, with funds managed/controlled by TPG.
- Advising ITOCHU corporation on the sale of their interests in various mining joint ventures to Glencore.
- Assisted the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) on the implementation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in NSW, including the AUD 114 million sale of Home Care Services of NSW to Australian Unity and the privatisation of various Specialist Disability Services provided by FACS.
- Represented Nexif Energy on its acquisition of the Lincoln Gap and Glen Innes Wind Farms from Denham Capital.
- Advised NSW Government on the reform and privatisation of the NSW electricity industry including the AUD 234 million sale of Delta Electricity's Colongra power station to Snowy Hydro and the AUD 4.5 million sale of Delta Electricity's Brown Mountain power station and Cochrane Dame to Hydro Power.
- Assisted Cintra Developments Pty Ltd on general corporate governance matters.
- Advised Elanor Investors Group on trust establishment and stapling issues related to the IPO and ASX listing of the AUD 110 million Elanor Retail Property Fund.
- President's Award, Australian Law Students' Society 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Out for Australia - Mentor
- Australian Mining Petroleum Law Association - Member
- Advised Justice Connect's Self-Representation Service in their work with refugees and asylum seekers who are applying for the judicial review of their visa decisions.
- Contributor to research and policy papers for various pro bono clients including the rights of those in forced marriages and Queensland Parliament's 2016 Human Rights Act Inquiry.
- Serves as an active member of BakerLGBTI committee and its broader diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Volunteer Mock Trial Magistrate for the Law Society of NSW's High School Mock Trial Competition
- Supreme Court of New South Wales~Australia (2016)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2016)
- University of Newcastle (LLB Hons) (2015)
- University of Newcastle (Diploma Legal Practice) (2015)
- University of Newcastle (BSc) (2013)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.