Beat Barthold is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Zurich office. He has extensive experience in financial markets and in a broad range of corporate transactions, including complex domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, demergers, reorganizations, disposals and joint ventures.
Chambers Global and Chambers Europe have recognized him as a leader in banking, finance and M&A for many years in a row. He is also ranked as a leading lawyer in the IFLR1000 guide. Mr. Barthold and his team won the European Banking and Finance Deal of the Year Award 2016 granted by The Lawyer for their work as borrower’s counsel on a Swiss-law governed CHF1.05bn syndicated credit facility and a CHF700m bilateral credit facility granted by major Swiss banks to Aduno group, which completed in December 2014.
Mr. Barthold has published numerous articles and is a sought-after speaker and panelist at national and international conferences.
Mr. Barthold regularly advises banks, financial institutions and other corporate clients, both listed and privately held, on transactional, corporate, M&A and contractual issues relating to their market industries. His practice also covers corporate finance and private equity transactions, including debt finance transactions, acquisition finance, syndicated loans, private/public offerings, mezzanine and structured finance.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mr. Barthold worked on the following matters:
- Advised Aduno Holding AG with regard to the acquisition of Geneva-based deposit guarantee broker SmartCaution SA.
- Advised Chinese listed company Zhejiang Haers Vacuum Containers Co. Ltd. in connection with the acquisition of Swiss drinking bottle manufacturer SIGG Switzerland AG in Frauenfeld.
- Advised Airopack Technology Group AG and funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC in connection with their conclusion of a strategic partnership.
- Advised Diploma PLC in connection with the acquisition of Kubo Group.
- Advised Notenstein Privatbank AG in connection with the acquisition of a client asset portfolio from LBBW (Schweiz) AG.
- Advised Telecom Liechtenstein in connection with its merger with mobilkom Liechtenstein.
- Advised Notenstein Private Bank Ltd in connection with the increase of its stake in EFG Financial Products Holding Ltd.
- Advised Notenstein Private Bank Ltd in connection with the acquisition of a stake in EFG Financial Products Holding Ltd.
- Advised Aduno group in connection with the acquisition of all shares of Revi-Leasing & Finanz AG from Valiant Group.
- Advised Raiffeisen Switzerland Cooperative in connection with the acquisition of Notenstein LaRoche Privatbank AG, which had previously acquired the non-US-business of Wegelin & Co.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Wilhelm Schulthess-Stiftung Zurich - Member of the Board of Directors
- Switzerland (1991)
- University of Basel (Dr. iur) (1996)
- University of Basel (Law Degree) (1988)