Mohamed A. Barakat
Mohamed Barakat works as a partner in the Firm's Global Mergers & Acquisitions and Global Major Projects practice groups. Based in the United States, Mr. Barakat spends a considerable part of the year working with the Firm's Middle East offices. Mr. Barakat advises multinational companies on capital market and cross-border transactions.
Mr. Barakat advises multinational companies on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, with emphasis on the Saudi Arabian market. He also advises global investment banks on the rules and regulations governing several capital markets in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and other jurisdictions in the Middle East.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Rohm & Haas (The Dow Chemical Company) in the negotiation and structuring of its joint venture (with an estimated capital of USD787 million) and technology transfer transaction with National Industrialization Company (Tasnee).
- Represented The Dow Chemical Company in relation to the construction of an Acrylic Acid Complex (through a consortium that includes Aramco, The Dow Chemical Company, SABIC, Evonik Industries and other companies) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at an estimated cost of USD2.1 billion, including advising on the drafting and negotiation of the upstream and downstream agreements relating to the feedstock and its downstream derivatives as well as the construction/projects-related agreements including EPCs, Offtake, Marketing, Bridging Agreements, etc.
- Represented The Clorox Company in relation to its contractual restructuring and licensing arrangements with large private companies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
- Represented a US-based private company in its USD185 million share acquisition of one of the largest producers of high-grade ferrosilicon in the US with operations in several US states.
- Represented a US-based private company in its USD240 million acquisition via reverse merger of one of the largest steel producers in the US with operations in several US states.
- Represented a US-based private company in its USD58 million acquisition via reverse merger of an Illinois-based steel producers.
- Represented a large Chicago-based engineering and architectural firm on its joint venture transaction with a Missouri-based counterpart to build and operate a concrete testing laboratory in several states in the United States.
- Represented a Portuguese company with respect to its acquisition via a reverse merger of a construction company in Illinois, with operations across the Mid-western part of the United States.
- Advised on the bidding and tender offer process of the Saudi Land Bridge Project connecting the eastern provinces of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with its western provinces via railway.
- Represented Ebara Corporation on its joint venture transaction with Gas Arabian Limited to build and operate facilities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the full spectrum of oil and gas exploration, refining, petrochemical and other process and power applications.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia~United States (2018)
- Illinois~United States (2008)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2004)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Master of Science magna cum laude) (2001)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.A. summa cum laude) (1999)