Lucy Baker is an associate in the Dispute Resolution team and is based in the firm's Sydney office. She joined the Firm as a Summer Clerk in 2018 and commenced with the team in 2021. Lucy recently took a leave of absence from the firm for 18 months to undertake an Associateship at the Federal Court of Australia with the Hon Justice Katzmann SC.
Lucy practises in general commercial litigation across a range of sectors, including healthcare, product liability, employment, energy, cybersecurity and telecommunications. Lucy's experience includes acting in claims arising in tort, contract, equity and statute.
Lucy has experience acting in proceedings in various jurisdictions within Australia, particularly in the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
Representative Legal Matters
Lucy has assisted on a number of matters and has experience working closely with clients, experts and counsel. Her commercial focus and detailed understanding of litigation and court procedures enables her to quickly understand complex issues and assist clients through litigation proceedings.
Notable matters Lucy has assisted on include:
- Represented an ASX listed company in Federal Court proceedings concerning various breaches of corporations law including directors duties, continuous disclosure obligations and misleading and deceptive conduct
- Represented a number of Australian tertiary education providers in a copyright dispute
- Sucessfully represented an international renewable investment company in an arbitration concerning contractual obligations
- Successfully defended a security for costs application for a national energy company
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales Young Lawyers
Lucy's pro bono work involves volunteering for Women's Legal Service, Amicus (Fighting for Justice on Death Row), Refugee Advice & Casework Service and the Senior Rights Service.
- New South Wales~Australia (2020)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2020)
- University of Sydney (J.D.) (2019)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor Medical Science (Hons I)) (2015)