Representative Legal Matters
Multiemployer Pension Trust Fund
Complete victory in fiduciary liability insurance coverage dispute involving multiple millions in unpaid indemnity and defense costs.
Northfield Ins. Co. v. Civic Center Hotel, 239 F. Supp. 3d 1163 (N.D.Cal. 2017)
Victory in insurance coverage dispute.
Mance v. Quest Diagnostics, 237 F. Supp. 3d 217 (D.N.J. 2017)
ERISA class action case dismissed. Court rules at summary judgment that Quest Diagnostic's Voluntary Separation Agreement Plan was not regulated by ERISA.
National Hospitality Client - In a 2016 case in which the claimant rejected our client's multimillion dollar settlement offer. We defeated the claim in its entirely and then prevailed on a counterclaim.
Bluhm v. PNC Financial Services Group, Inc., 921 F. Supp. 2d 1019 (S.D. Cal. 2013)
The Court granted Defendants' Motion for Summary Judgment as to Plaintiff's claims for severance benefits.
Armbruster v. WageWorks, 2013 U.S. District LEXIS 96727 (D. Ar. 2013)
Victory in lawsuit for stock plan benefits.
Solis v. Webb, 931 F. Supp. 2d 936, (N.D. Cal. 2012)
Court ruled that because defendants followed the investment directions of an independent fiduciary, the DOL must show defendants knowingly permitted the ESOP to overpay for company stock.
In re First American ERISA Litigation, 258 F.R.D. 610 (C.D. Cal. 2009)
First American Corp. defeats motion for certification of a 37,000 member class in a USD200 million fiduciary breach case convincing the court that certification under Rule 23(b)(1)(B) was improper following the Supreme Court's decision in LaRue v. DeWolf, Boberg & Associates, 554 U.S. 248 (2008).
In re Dell Inc. ERISA Litigation, 563 F. Supp. 2d 681 (W.D. Tex. 2008)
Court dismisses with prejudice plaintiffs' USD300 million class action claim ruling that the Dell 401(k) plan fiduciaries had not acted imprudently by retaining Dell stock as a plan investment.
Sullivan v. Cap Gemini, 518 F. Supp 2d 983 (N.D. Ohio 2007)
Summary judgment granted in favor of Cap Gemini. Court ruled that a release of all general claims barred LTD benefit claim as to Cap Gemini.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- California~United States
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Tax)
- Santa Clara University (J.D.)
- Santa Clara University (B.A. Philosophy)
Author, "Epic End to ERISA Class Actions?," Benefits Law Journal, Vol. 31, No. 3, Wolters Kluwer, Autumn 2018
Co-author, "A Lesson In Perseverance: How Faith Led Three Church-Affiliated Hospitals To Victory At The Supreme Court," Benefits law Journal, Vol. 30, No. 3, Autumn, 2017
Co-author, "Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation," 2017 ERISA Chapter, ABA Recent Developments in Business and Corporation Litigation, 2017 Edition