Amr Baggatto is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Cairo office. He joined the Firm in April 2010 after having worked for several years with the legal department of the Commercial International Bank and with the Administrative Prosecutor Office.
Amr focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, debt capital markets, labor, banking and finance, project finance, structured finance, Islamic finance, swaps and derivatives, and tax law issues. He has been actively involved in a number of high-profile transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation in connection with a USD 1.4 billion loan made to Petroleum Export VI Limited, a company incorporated under the laws of Cayman Islands. The financing will be utilized to fund 78 oil shipments, comprising 47 crude oil shipments and 31 NAFTA shipments.
- Advised Indian multinational Aditya Birla Group on its USD 925 million refinance of an existing English law facility agreement.
- Acted for Commercial International Bank (CIB) and Legal & General Overseas Holdings B.V. in connection with the sale of 100 percent of Commercial International Life Insurance Company. Also currently drafting and negotiating a long-term exclusive bancassurance agreement between CIB and Commercial International Life Insurance Company to be entered into post-completion.
- Advised on Golden Pyramids Plaza's bond issuance on trenches with an aggregate value of USD 400 million.
- Acted for Arab African International Bank and Commercial International Bank with respect to a medium-term loan syndicate facility agreement amounting to USD 120 million to Golden Pyramids Plaza S.A.E in the domestic market.
- Acted for Majid AlFuttaim Properties Egypt in connection to a project finance transaction amounting to EGP 3 billion to finance the construction of a mega shopping mall in 6th of October Governorate, with a gross leasable area of over 140,000 square meters named Mall of Egypt.
- Egypt (2004)
- Cairo University (LLB) (2003)
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.