José María Ayala has been of counsel at Baker McKenzie since 2013. Mr. Ayala has focused his career on civil and commercial litigation; he draws on experience in contentious-administrative matters to efficiently coordinate multijurisdictional legal teams. As a state counsel (currently on leave), he has acted before the High Courts of Justice of Galicia, Asturias and Madrid as well as before the Spanish Supreme Court.
Mr. Ayala has practiced in the field of international relations and cooperation. In addition to having provided legal services to the government of El Salvador to create legislation on public sector and human rights law, he has been a member of the Spanish delegation on the Standing Committee for the Lugano Convention, the Committee of Civil Law for the Council of the European Union and the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Furthermore, he has acted as arbitrator and lawyer before the Madrid Civil and Mercantile Arbitration Court, the Madrid Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Court, the Spanish Court for Abitration, the International Court of Arbitration and other Spanish and international arbitration courts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended the following clients: a television producer, in relation to the prime time broadcasting of a series on Channel 1, against allegations of imitating a program; several online travel agencies against an airline company that attempted to prevent the sale of its plane tickets; advertising by a major private security company; and a financial entity against others that unduly identified themselves as “savings banks”.
- Defended several corporate resolutions by listed companies.
- Defended several Spanish and foreign banking institutions in agreements on the mutual adjustment of interest, real estate investment, securitization, leasing, and others.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Madrid Bar Association - Member
- Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) - Steering Committee
- Madrid~Spain (1985)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Law Degree) (1985)
- University of Stirling, Scotland (Post Graduate Studies)
- University of Edinburgh (Post Graduate Studies)
Baker & McKenzie Madrid S.L.P. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.