Jessica Averitt is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Houston office.
Representative Legal Matters
Advises clients on emerging trends in cyber discovery, data privacy, cross border data transfer, information governance and strategic discovery.
Advises clients in multiple industries on cyber incident response strategies including table top exercises, red team exercises and crisis management.
Experience in conducting information-related litigation and investigations, such as breaches of confidentiality and theft of trade secret.
Co-lead and developed comprehensive investigation strategy for international internal investigation for global financial institution related to possible theft of trade secrets, data security and cross border data privacy.
Counseled large IT service provider on contractual and regulatory cyber security notice requirements.
Led large scale digital analysis projects for telecommunications, financial institutions, automotive, railroad and oil and gas industries.
Trusted advisor to leading telecommunications company on internal investigations, response to government investigations, and large complex litigations.
Counseled a large domestic oil and gas company in connection with civil investigations into hydraulic fracturing by the US Congress and federal and state agencies.
Advised a leading financial institution regarding crisis management related to a significant cyber threat.
Lead liaison attorney as national E-discovery counsel for major telecommunications provider.
Defended depositions of technical and IT witnesses in large employment class actions.
Prepared for depositions of key witnesses in significant shareholder litigation matters, regulatory investigations and theft of trade secret matter.
Managed large scale discovery in response to multiple DOJ civil investigative demands, FCC Letters of Inquiry, DOJ Second Requests and large complex litigation matters.
Advised clients on legal standards for preserving, collecting, and producing electronic data.
Advised on and assisted in drafting document retention policies to include data concerns.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- The Sedona Conference WG 1 on Electronic Document Retention and Production - Member
- The Sedona Conference WG6 on International Management, Discovery and Disclosure - Member
- The Sedona Conference WG 11, Privacy and Data Security - Member
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2004)
- Texas~United States (2003)
- University of Houston (B.A., summa cum laude) (1999)
- University of Texas at Austin (J.D.)