Nicolas Arboleda leads the Mining and Metals Practice in Bogota. He focuses on project development in the energy and mining sectors. He has over 15 years' experience in these sectors and has championed several cross-border projects and transactions in the Americas, Africa and EMEA regions. He is a highly experienced professional regarded as an expert in the energy and mining industries, thus having am excellent grasp of its regulation. He is known by giving clients a practical and business-oriented advice.
Prior to joining the Firm, Nicolas was legal vice president of the "La Luna" mine-to-power project in Colombia developed by Sloane Energy Group. He has also worked as legal counsel business development for QKR Corporation, a private equity fund based in London and Qatar; legal advisor to a BHP Billiton's Project NOSS (at Cerro Matoso), and as an associate at other renowned international law firms. He regularly advises companies in industries of mining and metals, energy, projects and private equity/investment funds.
Nicolas is also a postgraduate degree professor for mineral law and sustainable development at the Los Andes University in Bogota.
He has appeared in Legal 500 and IFLR 1000 as a "Rising Star" individual for project development and mining.
Representative Legal Matters
- Colombian National Mining Agency in the structuring of tender processes for highly prospective mining areas for copper, gold and polymetallic ores, as well as phosphates and coal.
- Trafigura Pte Ltd. in the financing of the Minera La Plata and Minera el Roble mining projects (subsidiaries of Atico Mining Corporation) for a consideration of USD 10 million.
- One of the world's largest trading houses in the negotiation and structuring of a key hydrocarbon transportation project between a refinery and a port.
- China CAMC Engineering Co. Ltd. in the structuring and financing of a coal-to-power project in North Colombia for a 1,250 MW thermal power plant.
- Private equity fund based in New York in the acquisition and closing (including regulatory approvals) of certain oil and gas assets in the Middle Magdalena Basin in Colombia.
- Chevron in the sale of its stake in certain gas fields in North Colombia to Hocol.
- Vishab Refinery West Africa Ltd. in the first tranche financing of copper and gold trading, for its business in West Africa, Spain and Colombia.
- Texas Mining and Associates and some subsidiaries and affiliates in contractual, regulatory, corporate, employment and other matters related to their mining operations.
- Private company in the acquisition of different mining concessions in Boyaca and Cundinamarca Departments, to potentially create a new international player in the precious stones industry.
- Private services company in the revision and negotiation of an EPC agreement with a company developing a large-scale underground gold project in Santander department in Colombia.
- Rising Star, Energy and Natural Resources, Legal 500 Latin America 2021
- Rising Star, Project Development: Mining, IFLR 1000 Latin America 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colegio de Abogados Rosaristas
- Colombia (2009)
- Universidad Externado de Colombia (LL.M. Mining and Oil and Gas Law) (2012)
- Del Rosario University (LL.M. Masters in Public Law, Candidacy for Magister) (2010)
- Del Rosario University (J.D.) (2008)
Author, "Coal, gold and emeralds, the chips for mining in 2018,” El Portafolio Newspaper, December 2017
Author, “Golden ecosystems,” La República Newspaper, November 2017
Author, “Social matters pose the greatest challenge for natural resources practices," La República Newspaper, November 2017
Co-author, “Renewable Colombia,” Dinero Magazine, September 2017
Author, “Challenges for renewables in Colombia,” La República Newspaper, March 2017