Akiko Araki is a senior associate in the Tokyo office's IP Tech group.
She has extensive experience in the areas of patent portfolio licensing and telecommunications. Akiko is the vice chair of the Standing Committee on Digital Economy, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
Representative Legal Matters
Supported a client in handling discovery and jury trial in a patent litigation before a US district court.
Represented a client in patent owners’ meetings to structure a patent pooling program.
Drafted and reviewed patent licensing, patent acquisition and patent brokerage agreements.
Advised a company owning AI related technology on data licensing and purchasing agreements based on IP, trade secret law and data privacy regulations.
Advised Japanese companies on GDPR and CCPA compliance matters.
Advised foreign companies on Japan’s data privacy regulations.
Represented a client in an M&A deal involving technology transfer.
Advised foreign companies entering the Japanese market on Japanese regulations on pharmaceutical, telecommunication and advising and labelling.
Represented companies in litigations concerning complex legal issues including IP, tax, securities and insurance.
Advised multinational companies on Japanese labour law matters, including layoffs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan Patent Attorneys Association - Member
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) - Member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) JAPAN - Member
- AI and Law Society - Member
- Japan (Patent Attorney) (2018)
- California - United States (2017)
- Japan (2010)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LLM) (2017)
- Tohoku University Law School (JD) (2009)
- Tohoku University (LLB) (2007)
- Co-author, "US Patent Law Lecture," Shoji-Homu, September 2020 Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "The US Supreme Court’s Denial of Certiorari in Athena on Patent Eligibility and the Current States of the Proposed Bill on Section 101," A.I.P.P.I, AIPPI Japan, April 2020, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "Who Owns the Oil That Fuels AI Machines: Japan’s Evolving IP Protection for Data," Global Data Review, December 2019
- Author, "Japan’s Policy Movement in the Trade Secret Protection," IP Journal, Foundation for Intellectual Property, December 2019, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "Patent Litigation in Japan," Intellectual Property Magazine, informa, June 2019
- Author, "Report of 2017 AIPPI World Congress in Sydney," A.I.P.P.I., AIPPI Japan, December 2017, Language: Japanese