Mina Arai-Ito leads a team of lawyers and other expert professionals and provides a broad range of services to clients, assisting them with their global business strategies, operations and expansion plans.
Mina handles a variety of corporate and commercial transactions involving both inbound and outbound investment. She also advises on compliance, governance and international trade law matters. As a former partner at the Tokyo office of Baker McKenzie, she has a wealth of management experience from working with multinational clients on major M&A transactions and other cross-border projects. Mina is currently the head of the Firm's Middle East & Africa Focus Group, having returned to Tokyo after spending three years at Baker McKenzie's Cairo office. She has also spent a significant amount of time in Brussels, Taiwan and Washington, DC. Practicing law across so many jurisdictions has given Mina a truly international perspective and the in-depth knowledge and experience needed to manage cross-border projects and difficult negotiations.
Mina provides corporate, commercial and compliance advice for non-Japanese clients wishing to invest in Japan or expand into other regions. She also assists Japanese clients wishing to invest in or expand operations into emerging countries.
Mina assists both domestic and non-Japanese clients with M&A, corporate reorganization, litigation/dispute resolution and general corporate issues. She also advises on risk management, the development of compliance programs and the handling of investigations and helps clients establish regional headquarters, manage their overseas subsidiaries and conduct worldwide multijurisdictional research.
Representative Legal Matters
- Japan Egypt Business Council - Committee Member
- Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Tokyo - Special Advisor
- Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Japan - Strategic Advisor
- Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) Istanbul, Turkey - Legal Counsel
- JETRO Cairo, Egypt - Legal Counsel
- Represented the United States government and assisted Mickey Kantor, then US Trade Representative, in strategizing trade negotiations.
- Advised the Egyptian government on a national public infrastructure project.
- Assisted in the Taiwan High Speed Rail BOT Project.
- Assisted in setting up, acquiring, and reorganizing companies and branches in Japan and in advising on business strategies, day-to-day management and governance of these operations.
- Advised on entry and business expansion strategies in the Middle East and Africa while ensuring compliance, including the establishment of distributorships and manufacturing facilities and acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Conducted various pre-investment compliance due diligence and risk analysis in emerging countries.
- Advised on sanctions risks in Iran, Sudan and other jurisdictions.
- Advised on multijurisdictional global reorganizations/restructuring of worldwide operations in more than 20 countries, including South American and CIS countries.
- Helped in the establishment of regional headquarters by reorganizing/restructuring existing subsidiaries and distributors in Asia and the Middle East.
- Conducted worldwide multijurisdictional research on employment, sanctions, antitrust and other compliance regulations and other issues.
- Negotiated and advised on litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution involving termination/dissolution of joint ventures and distributorships and other disputes.
- Advised on the acquisition of companies with advanced technology, technology licenses and transfers and other intellectual property issues.
- Advised on the acquisition of hospitals, local medical and insurance systems, compliance and litigation for Japanese and non-Japanese medical corporations, pharmaceutical and medical equipment companies and trading houses.
- Assisted Japanese and non-Japanese automakers with product recalls, litigation and pre-investment compliance due diligence and in establishing compliance programs.
Mina also assists small and medium-sized Japanese companies with outbound investment and established aid programs including government subsidies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Research Committee on Intellectual Property Rights in Africa (appointed by the Japan Patent Office) - Committee Member
- University of Tsukuba, Graduate School of Business Sciences - Lecturer
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2011)
- District of Columbia~United States (1999)
- New Jersey~United States (1997)
- College of Europe (Post Graduate EU Law) (2006)
- American University, Washington College of Law (J.D.) (1996)
Co-author, "Part I, Section 4 Middle East Business and the Law," International Business Law - 2nd Edition, LexisNexis Japan, July 2015
Co-author, "Exporting Japanese medical service packages to emerging countries: Overview of regulations for establishing and operating medical institutions in the Asia Pacific region," Baker & McKenzie, March 2013
Moderator, "TICAD 7 Preview: Symposium: Japan's New Strategies to Africa Businesses" hosted by Nikkei Shimbun, Nikkei BP, Co-sponsored by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, May 2019
Speaker, "Japan-Egypt Business Workshop" hosted by Embassy of Egypt in Japan, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Japan-Egypt Business Council (JEBC), Japan Chamber of Commerce & Industry (JCCI), Tokyo Chamber of Commerce & Industry (TCCI), Sep 2018
Speaker, "Innovation as a Bridge between and among Japan, the Middle East & Africa — Introduction to a New World and New Yourself" hosted by ZENMONDO global business community, co-sponsored by Embassy of Egypt in Japan, Embassy of the UAE in Tokyo, Baker & McKenzie, July 2018