Peter Andres is a Special Counsel in the Firm’s Compliance and Investigations practice group based in Hong Kong.
Prior to joining the Hong Kong office, Peter worked in the Washington, D.C. and Sydney offices of the Firm. During his time in Washington, D.C., Peter spent significant time assisting in the representation of companies before the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission on FCPA investigations.
In addition, Peter regularly speaks on issues related to technological innovation in the legal practice and has helped push the Firm’s adoption and development in Asia Pacific of e-discovery tools, data analytics, and Technology Assisted Review in investigations.
Peter advises on a broad range of compliance matters, including due diligence, internal investigations, white collar criminal defence, and related civil litigation. He regularly handles business crimes investigations, with a focus on the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Peter's practice also involves advising on trade compliance issues that arise under US economic sanctions and export control laws. He advises on the extraterritorial application of these laws in cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements, and other international commercial activities.
Peter also frequently advises multinationals on the development, design, and implementation of their compliance program within Asia, with attention to country-specific risk and workable, risk-based procedures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managed internal investigation for a Fortune 100 technology company involving corrupt payments made by channel sales partners in Vietnam to SOEs and government agencies.
- Conducted anti-corruption risk assessment and investigative work for an Information Technology company in Bangladesh, Pakistan and Laos.
- Coordinated global investigation of leading insurance company involving alleged corrupt payments in Vietnam and coordinating regulators responses in five jurisdictions.
- Conducted anti-corruption investigation in Mongolia for major mining company; part of the representation team before the DOJ and SEC.
- Carried out an anticorruption investigation on the conduct of a sales representative in Singapore for a Japanese technology company and part of the team that represented the company before the DOJ; representation resulted in a declination letter from the DOJ.
- Advised on the development and implementation of comprehensive compliance policies and protocols for U.S. technology firm, with a focus on managing third-party risk.
- Conducted several due diligence reviews for major US consumer products company related to its JV partners around the globe.
- Hong Kong (2018)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (2012)
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- Texas~United States (2010)
- George Washington University Law School (JD Honors) (2010)
- University of Chicago (MA) (2007)
- University of Virginia (BA) (2003)
- Washington, DC