Nick Altini is a partner and head of Baker McKenzie's Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in Johannesburg. Prior to joining the Firm, Nick headed the competition practice of one of South Africa's largest law firms.
He is rated as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global, The Legal 500 EMEA, IFLR1000 and The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers.
Nick has acted for local and international clients in several high-profile competition matters. He has experience in abuse of dominance cases, a host of collusion matters and related penalty proceedings, opposed mergers, and generally advising on all competition law implications of clients' business strategies.
He is also an experienced advisor in other regulatory fields, including consumer protection, data privacy, gaming regulation, advertising and white-collar investigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a major multinational parts and components supplier in an ongoing automotive parts collusion investigation.
- Acting for a multinational shipping major in the South African Competition Commission's investigation related to alleged collusion in the markets for the shipment of automobiles.
- Acted for a major listed food producer in the first ever South African class action suit for damages.
- Acted for a domestic and regional passenger airline in complaint proceedings lodged by and against it in relation to collusion and abuse of dominance in the form of excessive pricing and predatory pricing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2002)
- University of Witwatersrand (Bachelor of Law) (1999)
- University of Witwatersrand (Bachelor of Arts) (1997)