Matthew Alshouse is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance, Major Projects, and Real Estate practice groups in Chicago and a member of the North America Steering Committee for the Banking & Finance group. He is also a member of the Firm's private equity industry group and has represented funds on traditional real estate transactions. Mr. Alshouse has close to 15 years of experience advising clients in the real estate, private equity and finance industries. In addition to the American Bar Association, he is a member of the Urban Land Institute.
Mr. Alshouse's practice focuses on commercial real estate acquisitions, dispositions and financing, primarily on behalf of clients in the private equity sphere. He also has significant experience in fund-level financing, infrastructure and the development and financing of major projects. He has counseled domestic and foreign private equity fund and hedge funds; investor consortia; developers; asset-based and project lenders; and REITs on a broad range of property acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, and mortgage and mezzanine loans. In addition, Mr. Alshouse has extensive experience representing sponsors in subscription-based credit facilities. He has also counseled large private equity funds in secondary market portfolio acquisitions and leverage relating to the same.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled a private equity joint venture partner on preferred equity position in ownership and development of projects such as the Seagram Building in Manhattan and the Miami Center tower in downtown Miami.
- Represented Korean fund purchasers of downtown Chicago office towers with values of approximately USD350 million and USD225 million, and Washington, DC, office properties valued at approximately USD200 and USD400 million.
- Served as fund counsel on multiple contributions by public pensions of approximately USD400 million of real estate assets to open-end real estate funds.
- Counseled the developer in connection with a joint venture with CalSTERS regarding 80-plus property portfolio of more than USD750 million aggregate value.
- Closed over USD3 billion aggregate of portfolio acquisition loans on behalf of one of the market's largest secondary fund sponsors.
- Represented numerous private equity real estate funds in connection with subscription-based credit facilities in excess of USD2 billion aggregate.
- Counseled private equity real estate fund operators in connection with unsecured shelf note arrangements and revolving facilities in excess of USD1 billion aggregate.
- Acted as lead syndicate lender counsel for USD175 million multicurrency revolving and term loan arrangement for US-based food packaging companies.
- Represented a Chinese bank in connection with proposed development loans amounting to more than USD1 billion for planned mixed-use development in San Francisco.
- Counseled a lender in USD40 million project financing in connection with landfill gas facilities in five states.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Urban Land Institute
- American Bar Association
- Illinois~United States (1999)
- University of Michigan Law School (1999)
- Duke University (1996)